Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I'm brand new to the forum. Greetings. Here's my trouble: My beautiful, wonderful CR-V with a scant 95,000 miles on it goes through nearly a quart of oil a week. My Honda dealer service people say I need a new engine. It's only ten years old! I have shirts older than that. And besides, its a Honda for cryin out loud.

Is there any hope besides an engine replacement? Some goo to reseal everything?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Yes, I'm replying to my own post. I forgot some necessary things:
Manual transmission
Regular(ish) maintenance
No exhaust smoke, no oil pool under car
My first clue that it needs more oil is a hesitation on pickup

·
Registered
1,646 Posts

·
Everything in Moderation
7,716 Posts
If this started all of a sudden, perhaps you have a stuck ring. (Not a broken one)

The best approach would be to get a compression test and cylinder leak down test. Post the results.

On the off chance that it's a stuck ring, you could inject something like Marvel Mystery Oil into the spark plug holes and Hope that frees them up ...

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
108 Posts
I would reccomend changing pcv valve use only an oem honda part and then watch oil level for a few weeks -always park in same spot and let car sit for 15 min before checking. If car is tilted slightly oil level reading can be off by more than 1/2 qt or so. A pcv valve stuck open could cause that much consumption in a week. Question: how long has this been going on? How many miles/week are you driving? You need to establish an accurate baseline of oil consumption by bringing it to full line and checking it yourself in same spot (same levelness) over week timeframe after changing pcv valve.These steps will help to determine what is happening. Also as Shryp also mentioned -what exact oil are you using? If you are not changing it yourself and measuring yourself then consumption estimates could easily be way off.

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
Compression test would be very helpful, as CarBuff2 suggested.
Checking the pcv valve for proper function, as bobcat20 suggested is also worthwhile.

When the engine is at operating temp and running, remove the oil filler cap and see if you are getting a lot of blow-by coming out of the opening.

How long has this been going on?

What reasons did the Dealer give for suggesting a new engine?

Buffalo4

·
Registered
101 Posts
Pcv valve check and perhaps a bad gasket in the oil reservoir. Vehicles can actually throw oil when gasket issues are to blame. I would check under the car and look for oil heading backwards under the chassis. It could also come from a bad deal on your oil filter.

Don't toss the engine just yet. Check the most obvious places, including a cross-threaded oil plug, before looking in the freezer for the keys. That's a metaphor but I'm sure you got that. Also check the cap where you pour oil into the engine. These 4 places are the most usual suspects in oil loss of you aren't seeing black/gray or white exhaust.

What shall we have? An '82 Margaux! Is it any good? Good....?, It will make you believe in God!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts