Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Was on a trip a while back when I discovered the AC doesn't work. A friend's Honda mechanic (many states away) diagnosed it as needing a new compressor and a new condensor. Condensor leaks. I'm guessing the compressor hasn't locked. Fan blows warm air. Heater still works well. I've popped the hood and don't notice any difference in sound when the engine's running as to whether the AC is on or off.

I have a mechanic I trust but they don't generally do AC. They've told me if I have parts they'll replace, but are uncertain as to how to tell if it's completely shot. I'm not keen on taking it to someone I don't know, but maybe I have to?

How do I tell if it's black death on my own? Or, is there an easy way for them to tell? They usually work on Toyotas- Hondas not so much.

also, anyone know how good this kit is? Just in case?; https://www.ebay.com/i/323666987932?chn=ps

·
Registered
74 Posts
Did you check your fuses. always check the easiest things first . Maybe you can have your mechanic check the pressures to make sure you don't just have a leak!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you check your fuses. always check the easiest things first . Maybe you can have your mechanic check the pressures to make sure you don't just have a leak!
Thanks. I did. The compressor is shot and the condenser leaks. But I'm wondering if the whole system got contaminated by the compressor imploding. That's what's called the Honda AC Black death.

·
Super Moderator
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,582 Posts
Sounds like you need it checked out by a real actual mechanic. I had the entire A/C system, literally everything, replaced on my F250, with all new OEM parts, for $2k. Making a decision depends on the condition of the rest of the car, and whether it's worth doing to keep it. It might work out fine, or it might be better to just change cars. Either way it's going to cost. The hardest part is knowing whether you can trust if what you are told about the diagnosis is accurate.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Thanks. I did. The compressor is shot and the condenser leaks. But I'm wondering if the whole system got contaminated by the compressor imploding. That's what's called the Honda AC Black death.

What happened first the leak in the condenser or the compressor stop working?

A leaking condenser would loose Freon and cause the compressor not to turn on!

I don't know how true it is but someone once said they call it Black Death because it turns the fluid black.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
9,482 Posts
Black Death on EARLY Gen2s was a catastrophic compressor failure that would contaminate the entire system with metal particles. If it wasn't fixed correctly, the new parts would fail again because of residual metal contaminates.

++++++++++++++

In the OP's case, a fuse check, then a recharge (with a UV dye) should be the initial steps taken.

The condenser (behind the front grill) can deteriorate over time (road salt?) and the little fins will fall off. This could cause a reduction in efficiency (both our '06 and my daughter's '07 Fit had this happen) but the A/C still worked fine once properly charged.

The condenser can also be damaged due to road hazards (debris) that will make them actually leak.

Again, a UV dye will point out if action is needed.

Time to visit an AC shop....

PS: If the system has been recharged in the past, the filler (Schrader) valves could be a source of a leak.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Lynn987---I have an '06 CR-V that I bought new; now with about 143K on it. My dealership has told me that the AC "black death" was largely corrected by about '04, so that probably isn't the problem with your '06. I have had one AC issue so far; my AC clutch failed several years ago. Later found out my dealership would have done it a few hundred dollars cheaper than the independent garage I had do it. Anyway, I recommend OEM or similar quality replacement parts for the AC as the best bet for long life. Since I doubt that the parts in that kit you linked to are Honda parts or similar quality, I personally wouldn't go that route. I also note that their product description states: "Honda requires all of these components to be replaced in order to rid the system of contamination". That is not true for the majority of CR-V AC issues. I would also find a mechanic who's skilled with working on Honda AC systems.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Black Death on EARLY Gen2s was a catastrophic compressor failure that would contaminate the entire system with metal particles. If it wasn't fixed correctly, the new parts would fail again because of residual metal contaminates.

++++++++++++++

In the OP's case, a fuse check, then a recharge (with a UV dye) should be the initial steps taken.

The condenser (behind the front grill) can deteriorate over time (road salt?) and the little fins will fall off. This could cause a reduction in efficiency (both our '06 and my daughter's '07 Fit had this happen) but the A/C still worked fine once properly charged.

The condenser can also be damaged due to road hazards (debris) that will make them actually leak.

Again, a UV dye will point out if action is needed.

Time to visit an AC shop....

PS: If the system has been recharged in the past, the filler (Schrader) valves could be a source of a leak.

Good sound advice.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Lynn987---I have an '06 CR-V that I bought new; now with about 143K on it. My dealership has told me that the AC "black death" was largely corrected by about '04, so that probably isn't the problem with your '06. I have had one AC issue so far; my AC clutch failed several years ago. Later found out my dealership would have done it a few hundred dollars cheaper than the independent garage I had do it. Anyway, I recommend OEM or similar quality replacement parts for the AC as the best bet for long life. Since I doubt that the parts in that kit you linked to are Honda parts or similar quality, I personally wouldn't go that route. I also note that their product description states: "Honda requires all of these components to be replaced in order to rid the system of contamination". That is not true for the majority of CR-V AC issues. I would also find a mechanic who's skilled with working on Honda AC systems.
Thanks Ozzie. Sorry it took so long to get back. The car has 170+ k miles on it so I might just go with cheaper. Honda parts and service would cost around 3K+, almost the worth of the car. If I do half the work I can get the whole system plus a new thermostat and water pump all put in for much less. I found someone online who put the cheaper system in & it's still running 3 years later. A car this worn is a gamble any way you look at it. I have to wait a week to get the freon out of it, then I can look at the hoses myself at this point & see if there's crud. Probley is as the car probably hasn't had a working AC for years & crud could get in through the cracks it has. I just got it last year and didn't need AC till last summer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just bought a used 04 CRV LX and was just told by my mechanic of many years that my compressor is not kicking in and needs to be replaced. Not wanting to pay a fortune for new Honda parts I have two options:
1) Re-manufactured compressor with year or two warranty
2) Used compressor at about half the price of the re-manufactured part but only 90 days warranty

The system is down a few pounds from spec but not enough to cause it not to work. I have a couple months before I really need this repair, is there anything I can do as a Sunday mechanic to rule out other issues with the AC system before getting the compressor replaced?

- The fuse was pulled and checked
- The charge/pressure was checked
- When A/C is turned on the engine fans kick on
- PROBLEM - The compressor does not engage

I also have an oil leak on passenger side that I suspect is the solenoid or PCV that I need to get around to checking and replacing soon, but I don't think that would impact the compressor any.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I just bought a used 04 CRV LX and was just told by my mechanic of many years that my compressor is not kicking in and needs to be replaced. Not wanting to pay a fortune for new Honda parts I have two options:
1) Re-manufactured compressor with year or two warranty
2) Used compressor at about half the price of the re-manufactured part but only 90 days warranty

The system is down a few pounds from spec but not enough to cause it not to work. I have a couple months before I really need this repair, is there anything I can do as a Sunday mechanic to rule out other issues with the AC system before getting the compressor replaced?

- The fuse was pulled and checked
- The charge/pressure was checked
- When A/C is turned on the engine fans kick on
- PROBLEM - The compressor does not engage

I also have an oil leak on passenger side that I suspect is the solenoid or PCV that I need to get around to checking and replacing soon, but I don't think that would impact the compressor any.
If it is like the 3rd gen compressor, it is possible that the A/C compressor clutch has failed. This happened on both of our '09s, but not wanting future problems, I had the dealers replace the entire compressor with a remanufactured Honda compressor, which came with a 3 year/36,000 mile warranty, serviceable at any dealer in the country. They also leak checked the entire system and replaced any o-rings needed.

Note that in the 3rd gen, there is a relay that activates the clutch. In mine, the relay had been overloaded and the contacts had fused together. Likely if that relay looks bad, the clutch may very well be bad. (With a few members here, I believe they only had the relay go bad, so that is another possibility.) I don't know how the 2nd gen's A/C system is set up, however--someone who's worked on them could let us know.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Mine has been a real nightmare.
I've had it worked on for the 4th time and now
it has been basically rebuilt.
The manager at Firestone, stepped up to the plate last week
and told me he was going to fix it right.
I did pay for a new condenser $120 and they installed it for $180.
I hope this is the last time for AC work.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts