Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey i own a 2006 crv that keeps blowing headlight bulbs,,,i have checked voltage in the past and all was ok...but the last time i checked...i was actually reading 36 volts dc in one of the sockets...has anyone else experienced this...and have any ideas why
thanks

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
how about the voltage on the battery what are you getting ? I would suggest to pull out the relay for that particular headlight socket then check what the voltage is. It could be a bad relay that has an internal short that is causing an increased voltage spike. Let me know. Was anything done before this happened?

·
Registered
60 Posts
It is not a bad relay. I am not a Honda Mechanic, so these comments are 'generic'. High voltage will burn out bulbs very easily. The problem is the voltage regulator. It is probably built-in to the alternator, but I don't know Honda's details. Usually the alternator delivers power to the battery and the rest of the circuits by one post... the heavy red wire post. But they often 'sense' the system's voltage by a second wire or connection. They use the 'sensed' reading to adjust the output voltage. If there is a problem in reading the 'sensed' wire, it thinks the output is too low and cranks it up. 36vdc is extreme... it usually wouldn't get this high even when calling for max output... maybe you are getting a bad reading from your test measurement. More typical is a poor connection (loose, corroded, etc) in that sensed wire circuit. start by double checking the voltage. If it is too high at the headlights, it is probably too high everywhere. Eyeball the connections at the alternator. Try to follow them from there to their next termination points. Look for bad connections. Final effort is to take the alternator in for a professional test & checkout... some Auto Stores offer this service if you don't have a regular mechanic.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
I think if you had an actual 36v, you would be having more problems than headlight lamps blowing, such as computer and electronics.
The vehicle battery acts as a buffer to voltage spikes. Is your battery in good shape with clean tight connections?
Also check the two main bonding wires. One from the neg bat connector to the frame and the other from the frame to the engine.
Buffalo4

·
Registered
252 Posts
If I measured 36v anywhere in the electrical system, I'd kill the engine asap and either yank the alternator for testing or have it towed to a shop for diagnosis... Blown bulbs are one thing, but a voltage reading of that level is very likely to damage very expensive parts like the PCM and ignition module. I certainly wouldn't drive it around like that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts