Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone had tried removing this item from their V. I'm not a big fan of the storage/ drink holder configuration so I was going to try an alternative. Can this table be taken out? Has anyone done it? Any advice or help is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
3,666 Posts
I was wondering if anyone had tried removing this item from their V. I'm not a big fan of the storage/ drink holder configuration so I was going to try an alternative. Can this table be taken out? Has anyone done it? Any advice or help is appreciated.
Yes it can be removed. You have to screws holding the covers and carefully seperate the covers. After the covers are off you can access the bolts holding the table to the seat base.

PM me your email addy if you want a me to send you a picture on how the covers come off.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Twenty plus years dealership experience.Nineteen with Honda..

Twenty plus years dealership experience.Nineteen with Honda..

I see your in Ajax....

Would that be with Whitby/Oshawa or Pickering or neither Honda dealer???

I probably should change my sign in to either Pickering or Peterborough...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes it can be removed. You have to screws holding the covers and carefully seperate the covers. After the covers are off you can access the bolts holding the table to the seat base.

PM me your email addy if you want a me to send you a picture on how the covers come off.
Hi... I have the self-same question... concerning removing the center table from my 2006 CRV EX... and am sending you my e-mail address & will hugely appreciate if you will send me the picture showing how the covers come off.

PS(1) So far I've removed the plastic table, leaving the metal frame in place. What comes next ? I can see two large black Philips head screws on the side of the clamshell plastic center table assembly that is parallel and directly adjacent to the side of the driver's seat, with one screw prominent, and the other recessed into the plastic. I tried removing one of these screws and it is an amazingly soft metal that was getting cored out by the screwdriver, so I stopped before (I hope) totally ruining it. I'd much appreciate it if you'd tell me how to proceed from here. (If I need to remove the bolts I just discussed, I'd better take great care in finding an appropriate size Phillips driver head that will avoid further coring.. )

PS(2) Right now I'm trying to figure a design of rectangular buckets to replace the center table, that will make the best use of the area freed up by removal. Any ideas about console stuff sold at auto parts stores ? Or secondary market Honda parts ?

QUESTION: If I put containers in the area now occupied by the center tables, is there any issue of interfering with the action of the airbags ?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I tried removing one of these screws and it is an amazingly soft metal that was getting cored out by the screwdriver, so I stopped before (I hope) totally ruining it. I'd much appreciate it if you'd tell me how to proceed from here.
Even though I made the original post over a year ago, I'm still working on replacement ideas. I took the whole thing out for a while but that didn't work for me cause I usually have a fountain "something" to drink when I drive.
The best thing I've found for removing those screws/bolts is a pair of vice grips around the outside. Once you get the initial torque out of the bolt you can finish unscrewing it by hand.
If we ever get nice weather in St Louis again, I'm going to take another stab at building a useful center council to replace that stupid little table. I'd like to retrofit one of the Gen.3 or Element SC center councils to my Gen 2.5 but the research I've done puts that project well over $300.
If anyone wants to post pictures of this removal or removal or the rear seats that would be great. If it is easier to email them, please send them to...
[email protected]

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for the thoughts on how to remove the soft metal screws.

If I succeed in removing the center table, and I can't find console components off the shelf, one inexpensive option I've been thinking of is to buy plywood and leatherette that matches my CRV interior and then produce two or three modules that will bolt together to approximately fit the space. Then maybe I'd put a hinged cover on one of the modules with some holes for bottles / cups. But it would be much nicer to find some nicely finished console modules off the shelf.

What are the full names of the Gen 2, Gen.3 or Element SC center consoles you mention ?

Right now what I have between the seats and on the center floor area up to the front of the cabin is totally unsightly, several cardboard boxes jammed into the space between that utterly dysfunctional table (what were the designers thinking?) and the seat, and another box jammed up front, to hold soda bottles and paper towel rolls and various other travel essentials.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Answering one;s own posts is a bit off but just wanted to say I could'nt figure how to remove the center table myself so I took it to a Honda repair guy who took it off in 15 minutes... To access one very deeply recessed bolt head it required a ratchet wrench with a very long extension that the average civilian does not own. If anyone wants details I'll respond.

Now the table is out I have a great 10" by 20" footprint to play with, with max height of about a foot. So far I have jammed in several cardboard boxes for stuff that won't fit in the glove compartment and for useful items like sandwiches and paper towels and my electric shaver. I;ve also accomodated a small leakproof Rubbermaid wastebasket that holds two 1 liter seltzer bottles standing upright without fear of falling or spilling, a very important element in my travels, staying hydrated.

I think the best way for me to go is start with cardboard boxes and plastic tubs, then based on this rough cut, go to a more polished design in wood and some kind of cosmetic covering, fabric or leatherette... Next comes two large cupholders for coffee or soda, located in a tub deep enough to prevent the cups from falling out and where spills will be confined, with a towel at the bottom to sop up liquid.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Not quite sure what pictures you are referring to. Pictures of what I'm replacing the table with ? Or pictures of the locations of the bolts that were removed in order to take out the table ?

If the latter, then I will try to take pictures or else post a diagram or exact written description of where the bolts are.

If the former, then verbal description is better than a picture, because right now all I have is a very rough first cut, a collection of containers that in total add up to a space roughly 22" long, 10" wide, 11" high, rather unsightly but very convenient, putting most of the things I want while driving within easy reach.

Today I remembered my mother's trick of concealing unsightly objects by draping attractive fabric over them, and found a large beach towel that matches the interior of my CRV, and covered the entire ensemble, which looks surprisingly okay, and provides a useful shield against the sun and prying eyes, plus provides an immediate dryer for any spill.

The actual assembly consists of 4 containers on the floor crammed in tightly between the seats so they don't slide, and some extra containers lying on top. The assemblage currently contains my giant Ativa cellphone headset (about the size of a large stereo headset with a microphone boom), electric razor, my Garmin navigator on its portable stand, cellphone charger, Garmin charger, small box of Kleenex, 2 one liter bottles of seltzer, a flashlight, spare handkerchiefs, hairbrush and comb, a dictaphone, a small garbage container, barf bags for a passenger who sometimes is queasy, a flashlight, a bottle of trailmix, a tape measure and the Honda driver's manual.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Answering one;s own posts is a bit off but just wanted to say I could'nt figure how to remove the center table myself so I took it to a Honda repair guy who took it off in 15 minutes... To access one very deeply recessed bolt head it required a ratchet wrench with a very long extension that the average civilian does not own. If anyone wants details I'll respond.

Now the table is out I have a great 10" by 20" footprint to play with, with max height of about a foot. So far I have jammed in several cardboard boxes for stuff that won't fit in the glove compartment and for useful items like sandwiches and paper towels and my electric shaver. I;ve also accomodated a small leakproof Rubbermaid wastebasket that holds two 1 liter seltzer bottles standing upright without fear of falling or spilling, a very important element in my travels, staying hydrated.

I think the best way for me to go is start with cardboard boxes and plastic tubs, then based on this rough cut, go to a more polished design in wood and some kind of cosmetic covering, fabric or leatherette... Next comes two large cupholders for coffee or soda, located in a tub deep enough to prevent the cups from falling out and where spills will be confined, with a towel at the bottom to sop up liquid.
Yes, If anyone still ever looks on this site for 05 Information. I'd like to remove my center table.

Thank you

·
Registered
13 Posts
The foldaway center table is actually one of the features I like about my '06 SE. I cut some rubbery drawer liner material to fit the flat spots so things dont roll around and rattle. Underneath I have a trash bucket, Kleenex box, and a bin for miscellaneous items, all easy access. But I can remove them, drop the tray, and enjoy unhindered flat floor space. That way I can get an 8' board in without damaging a CV fancy console. I always thought they wanted space anyway, in most cars

1 - 14 of 14 Posts