Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 2wd 2006 just turned 200k miles.....for the last 6 or 7 oil changes I've had to add a quart.....about a half quart twice.....I go a little over 4000 miles between changes......there are no leaks and no smoke when starting....however there is some soot in my tailpipe. I have always used Castrol 5-20 (NOT high mileage)....ever since I stopped having the dealership change my oil....at about 50k.

Should I go to High Mileage 5-w20 ?? or switch to heavier oil 5-w30 ???.....or should I run some oil treatment during my oil changes ?? what brand ??

I've also been told that all Japanese engines of this size will start to burn a little oil after about 150k miles....not to worry...just add oil and keep on driving

Is there a solution ?? what is it ??

one other issue I'm having is my gas mileage has dropped to barely 25 mpg for mixed driving

I'm not complaining....except for worn out driver's floor mat the car looks great and runs fine......

·
Registered
172 Posts
Sounds pretty normal to me

I would just keep topping it off, actually my old audi burned about a quart every 1500 miles.

I just made sure to change the only around 3000 miles and never had an issue.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
From what I've read here on the forums, this is a known problem for this engine.
If it was mine here's what I'd do.
Next oil change, I'd put in 10w-30 and include a half qt of Marvel Mystery oil in the mix. This should help clean up your oil rings which may be sticking, based on what I've read.
I wish I'd known about this problem when my daughter's 1999 Accord started to use oil. It had had religious oil changes every 3750 miles for the first 60k miles and regular changes after that. At about 90k it started using oil. I'm sure if I'd known about this I'd have been able to solve the problem with the MM oil.
If you don't like using Marvel Mystery oil, you might also try adding some Sea Foam to the oil. It should do the same thing with equal results.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick responses.....if anyone else wants to chime in please feel free...

from what I've heard from others.....and now on this board.....I should start with a heavier viscosity oil and an oil treatment like Marvel or Sea Foam

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
I think that'd be one of the cheapest solutions you could try and it just might work!

·
Registered
101 Posts
MM oil helped my 2011 crv with 65k miles -was using about a qt in 2k miles, since using 16 oz mm oil consumption dropped to 1/2 qt in 2k -about like yours -will try either 5w-30 or 0w-30 next with another 8 oz or so mm oil -may take a while to clean up sticking rings which Honda agrees is an isssue with these motors

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
I agree with the other members, use Marvel Mystery Oil. It might solve your oil burning problem. Next oil change try to use another brand see what happens. Let us know.

·
Everything in Moderation
7,605 Posts
Our '06 floor mat started being threadbare at 40K miles. :mad: Contrasted with our 99 Acura TL's factory mats, which were great at 185K miles.

+++++++++++

I've almost always used 5W-30 oil without incident (mainly, because it was more readily available). So at 200K miles, a 5W-30 or 10W-30 might be best.

I'd just like to add that if your schedule permits, squirt a spoonful of Marvel into the spark plug holes and let it sit for a day or two. Give the MMO a chance to do it's magic. Then put the rest into your crankcase a couple weeks before your next oil change. (Use as directed)

Another thing that MIGHT help is to clean or replace the PCV valve. A clogged valve creates pressure in the crankcase and oil usage.

+++++++++++

Your declining MPG points to either an O2 sensor or a failing catalytic converter at that mileage...

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Our '06 floor mat started being threadbare at 40K miles. :mad: Contrasted with our 99 Acura TL's factory mats, which were great at 185K miles.

+++++++++++

I've almost always used 5W-30 oil without incident (mainly, because it was more readily available). So at 200K miles, a 5W-30 or 10W-30 might be best.

I'd just like to add that if your schedule permits, squirt a spoonful of Marvel into the spark plug holes and let it sit for a day or two. Give the MMO a chance to do it's magic. Then put the rest into your crankcase a couple weeks before your next oil change. (Use as directed)

Another thing that MIGHT help is to clean or replace the PCV valve. A clogged valve creates pressure in the crankcase and oil usage.

Your declining MPG points to either an O2 sensor or a failing catalytic converter at that mileage...

Good tip placing some MMO directly in the combustion chamber will speed up the process quickly.
+++++++++++

·
Registered
267 Posts
I used to run engine oil tests for a major fleet of taxis in a large North American city. Hot in Summer. Cold in Winter. Lead footed drivers for the whole fleet.

This was back when the American V8 dominated motoring, so 30 years ago.

Engines were torn down at 100 000 miles and parts measured and rated for sludge and carbon deposits.

The engines that were the least worn and the cleanest were the ones with the highest oil consumption.

The make up oil was clean and refreshed the additives and other chemical and physical properties of the oil.

Ever since, I've known that a little bit of make up oil is a very good thing for your engine. And a quart every 4000 miles is just about perfect for "oil economy" and "wear and cleanliness" protection.

Relax. Your Honda is perfect!

·
Registered
184 Posts
This might be a long shot given the mileage of your vehicle...and it was already mention, I apologize...but you should check your PCV valve...or just change it since it is not expensive.

I was going through about 1 quart every 5000 miles on my 06 CRV...until I change the PCV valve...it was partially clogged. After I changed it, I've only had to put about 1/4 quart in so far (leaking valve cover gasket...cheap ebay part)...it has been about 4000 miles since my last oil change and when I changed my PCV valve. With the old PCV, I would have to add over 3/4 of a quart by now.

take a look at this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Z4yek9oTfE

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Some have also had good luck adding MMO (Marvel Mystery Oil) to their engine oil to help free up sticking oil rings. Checking the PCV valve is a good suggestion.
Buffalo4

1 - 13 of 13 Posts