Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again. I wrote previously about my 2006 CR-V that shakes from side to side when accelerating. It is 4 cyl auto with 111,000 miles on it. It also whines, loudest between 35 and 45 mph. While shaking, the steering does not so much as move or vibrate. Sounded to me like CV joint(s). Two first class shops (not Honda Dealer))(one specifically Honda/Acura, and one general) with the highest reviews and ratings both drove the vehicle and both say it is "probably" CV joints but not entirely sure. They also physically looked and the joints and found no play or anything out the ordinary. Both said it is not a safety issue at this time so just drive it if and until it gets worse. I would, but it drives me crazy. Also, sometimes it does not do it at all. One shop said that the old tires were a safety issue due to age, which was true so I replaced the tires. No effect on shaking at all. When no one seems to know exactly what it is, I do not want to start throwing parts at it. Any thoughts, especially what else might cause this problem. Transmission seems fine, and has been serviced at 60 and 90K.

Also my sister must have dropped something into the dashboard which made its way down to the tunnel between the front seats. Rolls around all the time. No rear seat vents so it is trapped in there. Is there any way to get to it without dismantling the whole center dashboard/console from top to bottom?

Otherwise, this vehicle is in superb condition (also according to both shops) and I could really learn to love this thing even with all the Honda wierdnesses if it weren't for those two things.

Thanks again, Mike

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,670 Posts
With the tires eliminated and assuming lugs are properly torqued, I would check the front wheel bearings next, then the CV joints, then the alignment and brakes. A sticking caliper or warped rotor could be a problem, as well as a loose steering component. Then check the driveshaft if you have AWD., and check for any broken engine/transmission mounts. Let us know how this turns out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
With the tires eliminated and assuming lugs are properly torqued, I would check the front wheel bearings next, then the CV joints, then the alignment and brakes. A sticking caliper or warped rotor could be a problem, as well as a loose steering component. Then check the driveshaft if you have AWD., and check for any broken engine/transmission mounts. Let us know how this turns out.
Thanks kloker. Do you know which of the possible problems you list would affect the steering wheel when the vehicle is vibrating? The steering wheel just never moves or vibrates in the least - ever. I am beginning to think that I will probably need to find a shop that will actually check all of these things. Even though the shops I know claim they "check it out" I suspect they are not really looking that hard! I really don't want to take it to a Honda dealer unless I have to - and am not sure they would do any better. The last shop did say they checked out all of the axles and the drive shaft, and they all looked great (it is an AWD EX).

Thanks again koker. Mike

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,670 Posts
The issues that would affect steering would be the alignment or any loose steering or front suspension components or a wheel bearing, or a bent wheel or bad tire, or a front brake component. If the steering wheel doesn't shake, then it's more likely to be a broken mount, which can throw any number of things out of whack, geometry wise, or those joints and shafts, or the driveshaft. It could also be a need to change fluid in a differential or the transmission. Sounds to me like you need to find a better mechanic. I don't know where you are, but if you were in or near Austin, I could point you to the right guy.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks again kloker, I am sorry to say I am in Seattle, WA. I will take the advice forward and look seriously for another mechanic other than where I've been.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts