Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there!

So I have a 2006 Honda CR-V with about 92,000 miles. Not too long ago, I started to notice some sort of clunking sound mainly from the front right of the car. I can't be too sure, but I think I started noticing the sound after I rotated my tires front to back.

Anyways, to go further into detail, I only hear it at low speeds - not too slow and not fast. Maybe between the 10-30mph range? I can double check if it'll help... Regardless, I went to the alignment station and explained to them my problem. The guy said that my front right toe-in was way off, but he wasn't able to locate any problems with sway bar links, struts, strut mounts, bushings, tie rods, etc. And neither was I, because prior to sending it in, I did a few checks myself and found nothing.

Now, I have read something regarding motor mounts. Do you think that this could possibly be my issue? Engine doesn't appear to move violently when I shift gears (Park>Reverse>Neutral>Drive). I am a little clueless at this point. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

·
Registered
121 Posts
I would think ball joint. Ive had a clunking in mine in the front end and both times was the ball joint. Swapped out and all good. Reason I had it two times was because I cheaped out the first time and put in a Mevotech piece of crap ball joint. failed in 3 months. Just as a note of interest when I suspected the Mevotech joint had failed I checked the wheel for play and there was none the only way to see the play was to get in there with a long bar for leverage and pry against the control arm while that wheel was jacked up off the ground. The ball joint in there now is a Moog. I wont buy anything other than Moog from now onward.

Cheers
ZAZE

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
AWD or FWD?

Does it do it when you get up to speed, slow down or both?

Flat road, over bumps or both?

While turning, going straight or both?

If it were a motor mount, it would be provably the rear and maybe front that are bad.

More info is needed to not just randomly guess.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was thinking it was a ball joint as well.. However, I went to a friends garage (he works on cars a lot) and had him take a look. He got under the car, told a buddy of his to open the door and step on the "door step" of the car and rock it up and down... 10 seconds into doing this, he said the problem was the sway bar links, go to the nearest auto parts store, and replace them. So that's exactly what I did! Bought the higher end Moog sway bar links for both sides (better to replace both at the same time even though main issue was on one side), watched a few quick YouTube videos on the replacement process, and got the job done! No more road clunking noise :D :D :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts