Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All.

SHORT VERSION
2006 CR-V LX, Japan built, K24A1, 4WD, 218xxx miles, new head gasket and refurbed cylinder head
New, genuine Honda o-ring for the VTC Oil Control Valve (P/N: 15832-PNA-023).
VTC valve slides FREELY into/out of the cylinder head (i.e. nearly NO resistance).
VTC valve is leaking oil from around the outer circumference (i.e. not through the cap or electrical connector or timing chain cover).

LONG VERSION
Previous owner used a head gasket stop leak but now I was able to get a new head gasket in.
Unfortunately there was a very small hairline crack in the original cylinder head ... forcing me to get a refurbed one from a reputable source ... supposedly from a 2005/2006 CR-V donor vehicle.
Put it all back together with the help of this 10 part, highly detailed youtube video series:

Starting her up, there is a steady stream of oil coming out the mating surface between the VTC Oil Control Valve and the cylinder head (even though a new genuine Honda o-ring was used).
Re-torqued the valve down as tightly as I dared, re-cleaned the mating surfaces, checked the orientation ... all that jazz.
Put simply, either the VTC valve is "a tad small" or the cylinder head cavity is "a tad too big" - neither appears damaged or otherwise irregular.
The VTC valve slides in and out with nearly zero effort.
The new o-ring appears to be simply a more supple version of the old.

The 2 actionable suggestions I have seen:
(a) use a "bigger" o-ring (seems highly unlikely to work and no reports of success)
Would anyone know of a slightly larger o-ring to try?
(b) use Hondabond to seal the VTC valve in (some reports of success here)

Any other suggestions ... like maybe use the aftermarket Dorman 918-069 VTC valve because it is "a tad bigger" in diameter?
How much pressure would there normally be at that point anyways ... is there a lot of oil flowing there?
Could this be indicative of a different problem? (BlueDriver (advanced OBD2 scanner) isn't picking up any codes)
Seems like the 2002-2004 CR-V's use a different VTC valve ... maybe try a 2004 VTC valve in my (supposedly) 2005/2006 refurbed cylinder head? (or maybe the ECM would get confused)

Thank you!

·
Registered
17 CRV EXL AWD, 14 CRV EXL AWD
2,017 Posts
I would first try a thicker cross section o-ring. If you have a caliper measure the inside dia. and cross section than go up to the next standard size cross section, which will typically be 0.5mm in that size o-ring. You can get any standard metric size from McMaster-Carr. You have to purchase them in quanities of 50-100 per pack. But you will find that a pack of 50 is about the same price as a single o-ring from Honda. I'm assuming the o-ring material Buna-N but I almost always buy Viton, it's more expensive but they hold up far better.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Hello All.

SHORT VERSION
2006 CR-V LX, Japan built, K24A1, 4WD, 218xxx miles, new head gasket and refurbed cylinder head
New, genuine Honda o-ring for the VTC Oil Control Valve (P/N: 15832-PNA-023).
VTC valve slides FREELY into/out of the cylinder head (i.e. nearly NO resistance).
VTC valve is leaking oil from around the outer circumference (i.e. not through the cap or electrical connector or timing chain cover).

LONG VERSION
Previous owner used a head gasket stop leak but now I was able to get a new head gasket in.
Unfortunately there was a very small hairline crack in the original cylinder head ... forcing me to get a refurbed one from a reputable source ... supposedly from a 2005/2006 CR-V donor vehicle.
Put it all back together with the help of this 10 part, highly detailed youtube video series:

Starting her up, there is a steady stream of oil coming out the mating surface between the VTC Oil Control Valve and the cylinder head (even though a new genuine Honda o-ring was used).
Re-torqued the valve down as tightly as I dared, re-cleaned the mating surfaces, checked the orientation ... all that jazz.
Put simply, either the VTC valve is "a tad small" or the cylinder head cavity is "a tad too big" - neither appears damaged or otherwise irregular.
The VTC valve slides in and out with nearly zero effort.
The new o-ring appears to be simply a more supple version of the old.

The 2 actionable suggestions I have seen:
(a) use a "bigger" o-ring (seems highly unlikely to work and no reports of success)
Would anyone know of a slightly larger o-ring to try?
(b) use Hondabond to seal the VTC valve in (some reports of success here)

Any other suggestions ... like maybe use the aftermarket Dorman 918-069 VTC valve because it is "a tad bigger" in diameter?
How much pressure would there normally be at that point anyways ... is there a lot of oil flowing there?
Could this be indicative of a different problem? (BlueDriver (advanced OBD2 scanner) isn't picking up any codes)
Seems like the 2002-2004 CR-V's use a different VTC valve ... maybe try a 2004 VTC valve in my (supposedly) 2005/2006 refurbed cylinder head? (or maybe the ECM would get confused)

Thank you!
I cant believe there is any difference between 02-04 and 05-06 because they both use the k24a1 engine. But I guess its possible.

However the oring is the same (just checked). Tells me the difference is in an update to the valve.

It is VERY POSSIBLE you have a UK head, not a japan head.

If it was me, I'd go to the hardware store and find an oring that's slightly thicker, see if they fixes the leak. Could still pour out oil if it's the timing cover leaking.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2003 UK Manufactured 5 Door EX (4WD); KA4AT
64 Posts
The spec on those vtc solenoid bolts is somewhere around 8lbft. Replaced the leaking valve in my '03 w/oem parts and went to about 8.4.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
FINAL UPDATE
Found that the original VTC Oil Control Solenoid o-ring is 17mmx1.5mm.
Tried a 16x2.5 "generic fairly soft" o-ring ... it worked better ... but still was leaking a fair amount.
Tried a 17x2 McMaster-Carr 75A hardness o-ring ... it worked even better ... but was still leaking a bit.
Each time I tried to remove the original VTC Solenoid, I struggled to remove it (binding on something).
Is it possible I bent it slightly when I first removed it?

So then I went with a new VTC Oil Control Solenoid from 1AAuto.com (aka Variable Valve Timing Solenoid) for $35+tax:
Had to torque it more than the recommended 8.7 ft-lbs, but seems to be holding up after a 30 minute test.

Great Suggestion Traylaw ... McMaster-Carr has an amazing assortment of o-ring with near actual cost shipping!
If I had it to do over again, I would have went with the Viton 60A (soft) hardness (instead of 75A).

Thank you everyone for you advice!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts