Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my wife's crv has been running great except just this week it started doing something funny. When driving the ac works fine but when at a light or stopped the compressor will constantly engage and disengage in about 3 second intervals. Upon inspection I found that the ac condenser fan wasn't running but will turn on if I tap it with a wrench. The radiator fan wasn't running either which was making the engine heat up as well but then dropped back down when driving again. I hooked up my cheapy ac gauge to the low pressure side right when I started my car this morning the pressure was perfect until the car warmed up. I had tapped the condenser to get it running but after a few minutes it shut off as did the compressor and the low side pressure shot up in about a second to about 110 psi. This is when the ac compressor could engage and would cycle. It did this about 6 or 7 times each lowering the psi slightly until it was low enough the compressor could engage and then the ac ran fine for a while until it all started over again. Any ideas?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Correction... I tapped the radiator fan (drivers side) but the fan on the passenger side won't turn on at all

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Sounds like both your radiator fans (radiator and condenser) are probably going out.
But, before you replace them, disconnect them and feed them 12v directly. If they run and continue to run then they are probably OK. If they don't run for many minutes, then the fan motors are most likely bad.
If the do run for a long time, then it is time to check other items: relays and switches.
Buffalo4

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds like both your radiator fans (radiator and condenser) are probably going out.
But, before you replace them, disconnect them and feed them 12v directly. If they run and continue to run then they are probably OK. If they don't run for many minutes, then the fan motors are most likely bad.
If the do run for a long time, then it is time to check other items: relays and switches.
Buffalo4

I've already checked the relay by swapping in a known good one from a friend's crv. Would both fans being out cause the low side pressure to shoot up and make the compressor clutch unable to engage?

·
Everything in Moderation
7,625 Posts
Unless the compressor is working, the low side pressure will be very high. Normal measuring protocol is to have the system running for a few minutes before checking pressures, to ensure an accurate reading.

++++++++++++

You may need to measure the A/C clutch gap. Re-shim if necessary. If the gap is too wide the A/c will work for 15 - 20 minutes then cut out.

SEARCH for exact specs...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
you have to start with the fan, before changing anything else.
I'm ordering new fans tomorrow from rockauto.com... Can get both for a little over the price of 1 at autozone. I'll get those swapped out and then update. Cuz when I get the one fan running by hitting the motor with a breaker bar, the compressor doesn't act funny.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well got the parts Friday and installed them today. All is running well now and there is no more ac issues. The compressor stopped almost stalling the car. Problem fixed!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When the compressor for the ac was trying to turn on it would drop the rpms so low when sitting and a stop light that the car would almost stall. Once I fixed the ac condenser fan and it was able to cool the freon again, the compressor was able to kick on without a problem and there is no longer the rpm drop.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts