Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This piece appears chewed through. The car is now shaking at idle, running hard and won’t rev over 3k. Is this the wiring harness and a vacuum hose or something else entirely? Any advice welcome!

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's a wiring harness that has suffered rodent damage, repairable though.
Stupid question, but would this require a fill replacement of the harness? If so, do you have any idea what that might cost?

·
Registered
2006 CR-V
160 Posts
That hose needs to be replaced. Here is a photo of my CR-V which shows the intact hose:

....would this require a full replacement of the harness? If so, do you have any idea what that might cost?
If you replace the entire wiring harness it would be CRAZY expensive and a lot of work. Actually easier to just fix the wires (soldering new short pieces of wire in place).

You'll also want to take care of the rodent problem or else it will happen again. There are mice/rats in my area, but for some reason they have never bothered our cars. Our neighbor's cat does roam around a lot, so maybe that's it. I did see the cat one day with a nice juicy rat in his jaws that he just caught. Good boy!

·
Registered
2006 CR-V
160 Posts
But the op hose doesn't appear to be damaged, and hoses don't contain wires???
The hose and wire harness are two separate things. I've placed yellow arrows in my photo showing the intact hose. Malley3's hose is totally damaged and mostly missing. Do the yellow arrows show up on your screen? I don't know what the hose is called.

·
Registered
2006 CR-V
160 Posts
My apologies.
No need for that. I was just concerned the yellow arrows didn't show up on anybody's screen. Do you happen to know for what that hose is? Obviously the mice/rats chewed it up too, since that hose runs right over the chewed up wires. Apparently some auto wires (the jacket of the wire) are made out of soy, so the rodents can smell/taste it in the wiring and try to eat it. Crazy. Note to automakers: Don't make car parts out of food.

·
Registered
63 Posts
It's part of the evap. emissions system. Yes, wire makers tried to use more responsible products (soy), and the unintended consequence was rodents love it. Some heater boxes are made with it too, mice devour half the heater box overnight.

·
Registered
2006 CR-V
160 Posts

·
Premium Member
2018 EX-L fwd
484 Posts
Check with your local auto recycling center, a/k/a junkyard. Probably find it on any Honda 2.4L.

Got a whole lot of them on New Laredo Highway & along the Poteet Highway, TX 16 south.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update: We were able to solder the wiring back together and replace the shrink tubing around it. The hose you’re all referring to is a vacuum hose. Replaced with a $1 foot of 6mm hose from Advanced Auto Parts. Whole repair cost about $10. Thankfully the damage was all visible and easy to repair. Auto shop quote me $1400 for a wiring harness replacement. Big win today.

·
Super Moderator
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
3,413 Posts
Now, go back to the auto parts store and get yourself a couple of feet of harness loom (the tubular black plastic flexible hose over the wiring) that is one size larger than what is on there now. Put it on over the existing stuff, so that you have two layers of protection. Tape the ends in place securely. Just a little insurance. Or you can use plastic or rubber hose instead, though you'll have to split it down the side. You also might do the same thing to other harness sections that are equally exposed. Also, if you do some searching here you can find some solutions to prevent critters from getting in there, such as where to put wire screen, etc. There are a number of posts on that stuff here.

·
Registered
2006 CR-V
160 Posts
Check with your local auto recycling center, a/k/a junkyard. Probably find it on any Honda 2.4L.

Got a whole lot of them on New Laredo Highway & along the Poteet Highway, TX 16 south.
Yeah, that area is rife with junkyards. Most of them are smaller yards and never seem to have what I want, so I go to the big ones, like the huge Pick n Pull on Applewhite Rd, which is in the same area. A few miles to the east off of 410 is the Roosevelt U-Pull it, which is a medium-large yard.

Update: We were able to solder the wiring back together and replace the shrink tubing around it. The hose you’re all referring to is a vacuum hose. Replaced with a $1 foot of 6mm hose from Advanced Auto Parts. Whole repair cost about $10. Thankfully the damage was all visible and easy to repair. Auto shop quote me $1400 for a wiring harness replacement. Big win today.
Great! Did the problem go away? Yeah, of course the shop quoted you $1400. Question is if it was their own personal car would they do that? Nah, they'd probably do what you did.

Now, go back to the auto parts store and get yourself a couple of feet of harness loom (the tubular black plastic flexible hose over the wiring) that is one size larger than what is on there now. Put it on over the existing stuff, so that you have two layers of protection. Tape the ends in place securely. Just a little insurance. Or you can use plastic or rubber hose instead, though you'll have to split it down the side. You also might do the same thing to other harness sections that are equally exposed. Also, if you do some searching here you can find some solutions to prevent critters from getting in there, such as where to put wire screen, etc. There are a number of posts on that stuff here.
Agreed. Those mice/rats are coming back if you don't do something.

·
Registered
1998 CR-V EX 4spd auto "Big Green" completely stock with roof rack and front mud flaps
345 Posts
If you can't find a part like that hose, you can try copying the part number, and searching the web, or eBay, for that part number. There are lots of discontinued parts that can be found that way.

·
Super Moderator
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
3,413 Posts
Agreed. Those mice/rats are coming back if you don't do something.
Around here, we always have to watch out for all sorts of critters in the summer time, not just field mice and rats. Rattlesnakes, coral snakes, black widow and brown recluse spiders, scorpions, mud daubers, asps, black hornets, yellow jackets, killer bees, armadillos, possums, raccoons, coyotes, vampires, werewolves, and idle high school kids. :cool:

1 - 20 of 43 Posts