Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, ran into a issue while changing my plugs today. Cylinder 3 has oil all over it, and the coil is covered in oil. I know that mean I need a new valve cover gasket. Any how, I picked up the gasket, and now need help deciding on putting the right RTV sealant on. I picked up permatex ultra black, will that seal the work, or should I return it? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Run a YouTube search on it, you'll probably find some good info there. Some gaskets require that you use no sealant. Not sure if this is one of them.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Hello all, ran into a issue while changing my plugs today. Cylinder 3 has oil all over it, and the coil is covered in oil. I know that mean I need a new valve cover gasket. Any how, I picked up the gasket, and now need help deciding on putting the right RTV sealant on. I picked up permatex ultra black, will that seal the work, or should I return it? Thanks!
That RTV should be fine for the valve cover gasket. As long as you are replacing the spark plug tube seals as well, you will fix your problem.

·
Everything in Moderation
7,919 Posts
Look for an RTV that is 'oil resistant'. I use Permatex Ultra Gray.

That said, Honda's valve cover gaskets are very well designed. I still have the original on mine, 180,000 miles and three val;ve adjustments (removals) later. The only specified areas to apply RTV is at the 'corners' where the cover arcs over the cams on each end, and at the 'cracks' where the metal pieces join near the ends. (You can see where old RTV was applied.)

Don't use too much, you don't want any blobs of RTV clogging oil passages....:Darn:

·
Registered
895 Posts
+1 on Carbuff’s post. Ultra grey in the corners where the cam caps are and where the timing cover mates to the block and you should be good. Just a small dot is all you need.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts