Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a new member. Did a SEARCH in the forum but could not find a discussion on ignition timing.

I'm the new owner of a used 2006 CRV, std trans. I live in Salt Lake City where most of my driving is at 5,000 feet and sometimes higher. My 1998 CRV responded very well to advancing the initial ign timing to compensate for the thinner air here. It also had a distributor which made this adjustment easy.

How do I / or can I change timing on the 2006 engine?

Mike Keeney

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
AFAIK, it is automatically done by the computer and knock sensor.
The old distributor types couldn't do that.
The engine computer adjusts the timing for many different conditions, inc temp, humidity, altitude,fuel, etc.
I think basically the knock sensor is one of the key inputs in that the computer will continually test the advance until a slight knock is experienced and then retard it instantly just enough to avoid that knock.
Higher altitude has less air to burn so the ignition flame front of the ignited fuel goes slower allowing for an increased spark advance. Since the computer takes some of its info from the knock sensor, it just advances the timing until a slight knock happens and adjusts for it, regardless of the altitude.
That's my take on it, anyways!! :eek:

Buffalo4

·
Registered
184 Posts
Yeah, there's not much you can do unless you can 'hack' into the PCM. I'd just make sure that you run the right octance gas and CRV is current on its maintenance...plugs, valve lash, etc.

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
The higher the altitude, the lower the octane requirement.
Reason, lower octane gasoline has a faster burn (explosive) rate than higher octane.
In many higher altitude areas (usually around 4-5000 ft) the regular gas octane is 85 rather than the 87 in the lower altitude areas.
Enjoy Utah and don't forget, snow will be there before you know it. :D
Buffalo4

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to everyone for the feed back! It's great to be able to tap into your experience and then know where, when and even "if" I should proceed to chase down an idea.

Hope I can contribute in the future.

Mike

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
On my old 66 Chev, I also advanced the timing while I was living at above 8,000 ft and it helped. Now with my 03 Ody, it is done automatically. Same with the old snowmobiles running at 11,000 ft, the increased advance also helped them quite a bit.
Mike, many times you find something wrong and it is an easy fix for you while it seems to escape others. That is also why this forum is so interesting and fun. I'm sure you will have something to add to help someone with a problem that they have if you had the same one and fixed it. :D
Buffalo4

1 - 6 of 6 Posts