Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
CRV is generly in good shape, engine has less than 100,000 miles. There is a thunking sound coming from the left side wheel area. Car was taken to the mechanic today. This could be a costly repair. The undercarriage is rusty (Wisconsin winters) He said both ball joints need replacing.The mechanic says it could possibly cost more than the car is worth. Unfortunately money is an issue. What are your suggestions?

·
Registered
25 Posts
CRV is generly in good shape, engine has less than 100,000 miles. There is a thunking sound coming from the left side wheel area. Car was taken to the mechanic today. This could be a costly repair. The undercarriage is rusty (Wisconsin winters) He said both ball joints need replacing.The mechanic says it could possibly cost more than the car is worth. Unfortunately money is an issue. What are your suggestions?
Ball joints aren't that costly. Your mechanic can't be very good or wants you to give him the vehicle and he'll do it up and sell on on, or keep it. Seen that happen before

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
590 Posts
this is one time where original Honda parts will not do you any good. Honda sells the rubber boots for the ball joints, and then they sell the whole knuckle ($290 ish part, each side). Honda does not seem to sell the ball joint as a separate part.

aftermarket ball joints are the way to go, I put in 555 brand for mine ($60 ish Part, each side ... lol, it’s actually my profile pic)). Local Independent shops around me (Southern California) are asking around $400 for ball joints Parts and labor.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
12,164 Posts
Definitely get another opinion.

The lower ball joints on Generation 2s don't usually cause issues as reported here, but the sway bar bushings, sway bar links, and the lower control arm bushings have been known to fail.

One way to diagnose a bad (non-grease-able) ball joint is to inject grease into the rubber boot with a needle fitting on a grease gun. If that changes the sound, you found the issue.

If that doesn't work, inject grease into the boots of the sway bar links, top & bottom.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts