Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2006 CRV has 130k miles. I pumped air to the tires at 30 psi to measure the fuel economy. I filled the tank before a 200 mile trip and then refilled the tank afterward. Only got 25 mpg. Granted I was driving at 70mph (cruise control) which is faster than what Honda probably test its own EPA mpg numbers at, but I wonder if there is anything I can do to boost the mpg? I change the oils with synthetic every 5k miles and it's been well taken care of. 10k miles ago I changed the air filters, and I also did maintenance on the tranny fluid too.

BTW, the engine is loud during cold weather at startup. Why do car engines get loud when they age and is there anything I can do to make it more quiet? (It's not due to bad exhaust), I heard it's due to valve train? thanks.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Honda engines tend to be a little on the noisy side. When excessively noisy it’s time for a valve adjustment. As far as the fuel economy, your are about as good as you are going to get with these.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
I think the US EPA mileage rating for the 2006 CR-V was 20 mpg city/26 mpg highway/23 mpg combined.
I checked fueleconomy.gov for 2006 CR-Vs and found three entries. Two automatic, and one 5 speed manual.
The owners of the CR-Vs reported 22.5 and 22.3 combined mpg for the automatics, and 26.0 mpg for the manual.

So your CR-V is getting the expected fuel mileage.
Driving at 65 mph will improve your fuel mileage.

The fueleconomy.gov site his this information about driving more efficiently:

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/driveHabits.jsp

And I think your valves were due to be checked at 100,000 miles.
What services did you have done around that time?

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,760 Posts
Air resistance is the 'killer' for Gen2 MPG.

On long highway trips over 70 MPH we get ~22 MPG, slowing down to ~55 - 65 nets 27 MPG.

++++++++++

BTW at 130K miles you should adjust your valve clearances if not done in the past 60K miles/5 years. Makes a difference! (Not in engine noise, though)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts