Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks. First post here. We have a 2006 CRV 4WD with about 110K miles. It has an automatic transmission. We have owned it since new, mostly driven by my wife. Recently she has complained that occasionally the starter would make a clanging sound when first engaged. It was hard for me to diagnose since I never heard it.

Then last week the car would not start. I could hear the starter spinning up, but it seemed like the bendix gear was not engaging. I removed the starter, and found the teeth of the bendix gear were pretty chewed up. The teeth on the flywheel didn't look that great either. I decided to replace it and see what happened. The replacement (rebuilt) starter seemed to solve the problem, and I thought we were good to go. But after a couple of days the new rebuilt starter just quit.

I removed it, took it to be tested, and it failed. So I exchanged it for another rebuilt starter (I use NAPA for components like starters and alternators). Now when I try to start the CRV it bangs like crazy, like the bendix is slamming into the ring gear. Tried rolling the car backwards in the driveway with reverse engaged to try to reposition the teeth on the ring gear to see if that helped, but that did no good.

What is going on here - how does this misalignment happen? I am absolutely positive the new starter is installed properly - it is not cocked and it sits flush against the mounting flange. Am I looking at a ring gear replacement? Does that mean a new torque converter? We are planning to replace the CRV in early 2016, but were hoping to pass it on to our daughter. I'm really debating whether it is worth sinking a lot of money into this car at this point, and maybe we should just dump it.

Thanks in advance,

Mark

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know it has been several years. Did you ever resolve the issue and what di you find? I just got a new starter installed and this happened to me this morning.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same here. Installed new starter. It still just spins but does not engage the flywheel. Tried a new battery and ignition module but no change.

·
Registered
363 Posts
make sure the starter is flush with the trans not binding crooked ,probably a damaged ring gear if you remove the little plate on the bottom under the car 3 bolts I think ,you can inspect the teeth and rotate the engine to inspect the ring gear that is welded to the torque converter its a 19mm socket and ratchet on the crank bolt on the belt side of the engine to rotate clockwise only,with some jumper cables you can carefully check the starter that you took out to see if the drive is jumping out and not just spinning because it could be a bad starter from the parts store ,plenty of that lately

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Same here. Installed new starter. It still just spins but does not engage the flywheel. Tried a new battery and ignition module but no change.
This is why it would have been better to take to a shop. Other than the starter you replaced nothing that has anything to do with your problem.

Chances are now that you have damaged your flywheel ring gear and needs replaced

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts