Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The manual for my 2006 CRV asks for 5W-20. I've been using 5W-20 synthetic for the last 15k miles. Before that, I've used 5W-20 conventional, for about 90k miles.

Now I'm thinking about switching to 0W-20 for my next oil change. I live in a cold climate during winter and I often drive short trips when the engine is cold, so I feel 0W-20 offers better protection.

Isn't 5W-20 and 0W-20 pretty much interchangeable? What can go wrong if I used 0W-20 instead of the manual recommended 5W-20? Even nowadays I believe Honda recommends 0W-20 for most of their cars.

In addition, I built myself a wood ramp for oil change recently. How hard is it to change the oil for this model, and what do I need to be aware of?

Thanks

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
8,559 Posts
0W-20 will work fine. Use it with confidence. I've used it on occasion.

I've also used 0W-30.

++++++++++++

Regards the oil change it's easy. When you do the filter change though, you will drip a lot of oil onto the frame. You can buy the convenient magnetic deflector chute

http://www.bernardiparts.com/Honda-Oil-Drain-Deflector__VSB02C000023.aspx

Or if you are cheap like me, :rolleyes: you can use the plastic bag that you used to carry the oil & filter home to deflect the drippy oil.

Always check that the old filters seal hasn't stuck to the engine, too.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts