Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2006 Ex 140,000mi.
The original pump was leaking a lot so I figured I'd replace it. I did so in December and one week later it failed suddenly when I was turning. I took it back to the shop and they said the teeth were all stripped and they weren't sure how this happened. They replaced it and the same thing happened - took about 5 months this time. Now it's making the whining noise again that it did before it failed. When it failed the last two times I heard the constant whine noise for a few days but the steering wasn't affected to any noticeable degree until it completely broke. Any ideas or suggestions? Thank you.

·
Registered
895 Posts
OEM or aftermarket?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Aftermarket. The first 2 were rebuilt and the 3rd was new. It just failed a few hours after my post.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Try to find a cheap salvage OEM pump and try your luck with that. I honestly cant think of any specific reason that pumps would fail like that aside from junk parts or some seriously contaminated fluid.

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
3,577 Posts
What fluid are they using? If it's no Honda fluid (clear in color) then that's likely the reason they are failing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What fluid are they using? If it's no Honda fluid (clear in color) then that's likely the reason they are failing.
The fluid they used was gold in color. They replaced the pulley today with a Honda part rather than a generic they used before.

·
Premium Member
2005 and 2006 EX AWD
448 Posts
check the fluid in the reservoir if its foaming then probably a leak somewhere messing up the pumps ,also i wander what happen to the original pulley,is the noise the pulley slipping on the pump shaft maybe ,the pump and the pulley should be spline not just the nut holding it from slipping,Honda has the best design on the ps pump pulley mounting compared to all the other manufactures

·
Registered
132 Posts
sheared teeth means a blockage causing excessive pressure, to things to do here If you like this car then treat it right. Buy Honda parts , Honda powering steering fluid. You can check for good prices on line, most dealers will honor that price if you can show them a link or print the page.

I would remove the lines and make sure there is no blockage here also before installing that high priced part.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Make sure they are using Honda fluid, if not there is your entire problem and 99% of shops are too lazy to care what they put in.

Also have they changed the power steering reservoir? There is filter of sorts built in that should be replaced when pump is replaced.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
3,577 Posts
The fluid they used was gold in color. They replaced the pulley today with a Honda part rather than a generic they used before.
Gold???? That's why they fail. Honda fluids only. The shop is causing these failures.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts