Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
car has 99000 on it now. adjusted valves, new air filter, and spark plugs, & oil change at 98000. prior to the work I just bought the car and did maybe 2 tanks of gas through it, got about 180 miles per 1/2 tank. after the work it's 130-150 per 1/2 tank; mileage calculates out to about 20/21 currently. tail pipe is sooty and dark. did the idle relearn thing where you pull the fuse, let it sit 15 min, start it with no load and sit at 3000rpm and get it warmed up. maybe I didn't do all this correctly?!

anyway, wat's everyone getting for their fuel mileage? i'm at a loss with this thing; one of the main reasons I gotta honda was fuel mileage, and that reason is failing! all I can think is to pull plugs out and re-check them, put them in with I thinik it was .040" gap...

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,804 Posts
Our 2006 manual trans gets in the mid-20s in suburban driving (lower speeds than highway, but little stop-n-go).

Due to wind resistance and high RPMs on the highway, interstate travel only nets 21 - 22 MPG.

My 'normal' indication to look for fuel is between 250 and 300 miles on the trip odometer.

Have gas stations switched over to the winter gasoline blend in your area? That cuts mileage too, as does longer warmup times.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I track my fuel mileage every tank.

2006 CRV automatic with 111K. Looking at my logs for the past six months the range is 22.5 to 24.5.
A tank with mostly highway miles will be a tad higher, but not significantly so.

I'd check the air pressure in the tires, run a can of Seafoam through the tank.

If you have a Scanguage maybe check the operating temp once you're fully warmed
up. I owned a first Gen that once had the Thermostat stuck open. Computer would
not let the car go into overdrive because it wasn't up to fully operating temp.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
not adjusting valves properly and using a y plugs other than NGK or Denso will mess things up pretty good for fuel mileage

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Our 2006 manual trans gets in the mid-20s in suburban driving (lower speeds than highway, but little stop-n-go).

Due to wind resistance and high RPMs on the highway, interstate travel only nets 21 - 22 MPG.

My 'normal' indication to look for fuel is between 250 and 300 miles on the trip odometer.

Have gas stations switched over to the winter gasoline blend in your area? That cuts mileage too, as does longer warmup times.

as for the gas quality; i'd assume it's switched over to winter blend. average temps are 30's right now but have poked down to the teens and 20's. I don't really give it much warm up time; maybe a minute or so but that's all. only time I ever let it warm up if it's single digits or slightly over-and even then it's only about 5 mins if even.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,804 Posts
Tigris99's mention of plugs is important.

My usual suggestion in cases like this:

Warm up engine, fill up with gasoline. note odometer.

Drive at least 100 miles all at once.

Refill with fuel, then divide miles driven by gallons used.

Report back with results. :banana:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
took it on a 120 mile trip, took 4.618 gal. about 26mpg. filled up, got on highway and it was bout 90% highway the whole way. 1/2 way point was shut down for maybe 30 min and then traveled back home.

thoughts, comments....?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I’m on my first tank of gas on my 02 with 190k on it, at half a tank with ~125 miles travelled with 90% of that being constant stop n go city driving. I plan on changing the plugs (with ngk’s) ASAP, hoping that will bump me up a bit. I’ll update w mpg after my next fill up.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,804 Posts
took it on a 120 mile trip, took 4.618 gal. about 26mpg. filled up, got on highway and it was bout 90% highway the whole way. 1/2 way point was shut down for maybe 30 min and then traveled back home.

thoughts, comments....?
I think that is OK.

My last winter 850 mile trip I got 23 MPG (no air conditioner) at 75 MPH. When I slowed to the speed limit I got 28.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts