Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Very nice. Makes the front-end much nicer looking.

Good job!

·
Registered
1,890 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Which is...?
When it gets warmer I am going to make a custom grille. After seeing videos by customcargrills.com on youtube it doesn't seem difficult at all except I plan on using a perforated sheet of aluminum with a cloverleaf design which I have never seen on any car even on the internet.
It will definitely be unique.
Something like this but all painted flat black of course:
Pattern Yellow Line Design Circle

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree with Wolf29. Very nice. Futuristic look.
Thanks Otto.

It wasn't too difficult. Got everything from the retrofit source. It can be done to any headlights. Take em off your car, throw em in an oven at 270 degrees for 5 minutes which makes prying them open easy. Unscrew parts to separate everything, paint what ever you want with high heat spray paint, attach whatever components you want, and put em back together in opposite order.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
What projectors did you use? Is it a Bi-Xenon projector?
Yes its bixenon and its a Morimoto D2S3.
Originally I ordered the Morimoto mini H1, also a bixenon, and then a couple weeks later they released an even better projector thats just as easy to install, the Morimoto mini D2S3. So I exchanged it for the new D2S3which is what's in there.
Cut off is amazing with great color. I'll try to take some output shots.

Here's what I have in this set up: (all bought from theretrofitsource.com)
-Morimoto mini D2S3 projectors with 3" round lenses
-Orbit schrouds - painted black
-110mm white Morimoto XB led Halo (COB type) for original high beam reflector
-90mm white Morimoto XB led Halo around projector lens

-6" amber Morimoto XB led strip wedged under side reflector
-Morimoto Five5 ballasts
-XB35 55w 5k bulbs
-moto control H4 bixenon wire harness
-H4-9006 high beam splitter for solenoid to engage allowing activation of high & low beams with projector.

Other materials used for install: (-& how used)
-blue painter's tape (-to cover off chome on high beam's reflector for painting so it stays chromed and reflective)
-1 can adhesion promoter (-to apply to any plastic parts before applying spray paint)
-1 can high heat glossy black spray paint (for schrouds and chrome on stock parts of the OEM headlight)
-picture frame wire (-to secure halos to schroud and opening to high beam)
-dremel tool or drill (-to cut small holes to thread wire to secure halos)
-drill press - used to open up back of low beam reflector to accommodate projector threading
-belt sander - to sand down back of low beam reflector for projector threading to poke out far enough to secure with included securing nut.

The retrofit source & a bunch of other folks have a ton of videos on YouTube detailing all aspects of every step of the install.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Thanks for the reply and all your info. I did a set for my 5th gen Lude years ago, (06), with TSX projectors. Plan on building a set with Bi projectors for the 06 CR-V I just picked up today!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Where did you buy them and for how much? How long did the install take?
Okay, let me forewarn. This is probably a lot more than you want to know but I included links to where I got everything.

I bought everything at TRS. I spent a lot of time planning & because the lenses I had on my car were heavily oxidized (cloudy) I bought a new pair on ebay. If you buy headlights its important to know whether your CRV was built in Japan or UK. I assumed being a Honda it was from Japan & ordered a pair, then one day getting out of my car I saw a sticker in the driver's door jam which said it was UK built. Research showed me that Japan & UK built CRV headlights are not compatible so I had to return them for a UK built pair. Replacement OEM headlight housing cost me about $160 off eBay. The advantage of buying new headlights is if it takes you longer than expected your car isn't out of commission while working on it.

Then I bought TRS' D2S3 kit with halos ($365) & threw in an extra set of 110mm halos for the high beam opening and a 6" led strip.

Anyway, I took my time doing it in small steps but looking back I could have probably done it all in a weekend.
Ultimately, here are the steps involved and how long they take:
-Popping them in the oven @ 250-270 degrees for 5 mins will soften them up enough to pry open with a flat head pretty quickly. Scared of melting anything the first time, I did it at 200 degrees and had to keep throwing it in over and over & took me close to an hour to open up both sets.

-Painting the headlights I applied painter's tape to anything I wanted to keep chrome then clean with alcohol and a microfiber cloth and apply adhesion promoter to chrome I wanted to paint and within 10 mind you have to apply the high heat spray paint (I used duplicolor from an auto store but rustoleum's high heat stuff is also good, some say better & you can get it at home depot). A couple coats and let it dry for a few hours. (This step took me a long time since its winter & freezing in New England so I had to wait for a warm day since the spray paint suggests 60 degrees out. I did mine on a scorching 45 degree day) & wanting to wait an hour between coats took up a couple hours & 3+ I think to dry.

-In the back of the reflector I used a drill press to open up the bulb hole to fit the projectors and a belt sander to sand down nubs sticking out the back so the threaded collar of the projector could fit through and the securing nut can thread on and lock it down. TRS & a bunch of others have videos of how to do a lot of this stuff. I know it might sound pretty tricky but its cake and all of that took me under an hour for both.

-Mounting halos is best done by drilling super small holes with a hand drill and small bits to wire through picture hanging wire to secure it into place. I also drilled bigger holes to thread the halo's wires through to hide them. Doing all of that might have taken an hour?

-I also bought nite shadez tint to tint out the orange parking and blinker lights because I wanted them as black as possible. That took 5 mins + drying time. I left the side orange reflector as is because I live in Mass & thought it might make my car look more OEM & DOT approved. For the led strip underneath, I just wedged it under, no glue, securing wire, nothing.

The leds they sell are a COB type led which makes a much brighter light which is consistent like a solid light. Other types of halos look like a bunch of little lights strung together and are less bright. BMWs, for example, have halos stock but they aren't as bright and the light pattern looking at them isn't as solid across the halo, so I recommend COBs. There are videos showing the difference between the different types of halos/leds.

-Then back to the car, wire the harness & ballast, place the lights with projectors in (tightened by hand but lenses still not on yet) into the car and adjust the left right cut off for the projector & tighten. Then take them off, put on a very thin strip of oci butyl rubber sealant, put lenses and front housing back together, popped in oven at same temp as mentioned earlier for 5 mins, clamped them into place & viola.

I personally did it all in small steps. Opened the headlights one day, painted them another, drilled & sanded for projector to fit one day, wired halos another. Then I did the entire installation in a whole day. I am not a mechanic & have never done anything like this in my life. I just read up on it a lot, watched a bunch of videos & was a little disappointed I couldn't find much info about it specifically with gen 2.5 CRVs, but even still it wasn't bad. Having gone through it all I'm sure I could do it all in a weekend no problem in 2 days & maybe even 1 long day (would want to wake up early to paint them so they can dry adequately for several hours) & preferably in the summer).

Sorry for the overly lengthy post! I wish I had taken more pics during the process to show.

I actually forgot to re-install the rubber bulb caps (I haven't felt like fiddling with the wiring) and today after some rain I noticed some condensation inside the headlight housing. So my plan now after seeing TRS has some of their halos on sale in their 'bargain basement,' I'm going to crack them back open to clean & dry them out properly & while I'm in there I'm going to install another set of bigger amber halos far back behind the smaller ones I have as deep in the crevasse between schroud & reflector as possible and wire them to the blinker will be more visible to oncoming traffic. So my project continues.
At least this time I'll take more pics of the interior of them.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the reply and all your info. I did a set for my 5th gen Lude years ago, (06), with TSX projectors. Plan on building a set with Bi projectors for the 06 CR-V I just picked up today!
Nice! Congratulations on the new 06 CRV!!! I noticed in your sig that you were looking for one. Is it MT or AT?

Those projectors are nice. How tough was it to secure them to the reflector? Did you have to build a custom mounting bracket? I was tempted to get FXR3's but because installation requires more cutting and is more tricky than the morimoto mini H1's or the mini D2S3's & with such little experience I took the easier path.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Ended up with an 06 EX AWD auto. Couldn't pass it up. 1 owner, with everything as new and ready for this, 49,594 on it for $12,300. He was asking $13,500. Bought it private party directly from the guy. A service records, new tires and front brakes. All fluids were last changed at 45k and last oil change at 48k. Plus it's the color I really wanted, Silver Moss Metallic.

I couldn't pass it up.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So I'm waiting for these. Switchback LEDs in a white flexible tube. I'm going to wrap them inside to use as another white light while driving and blink when turning. Who knows when they'll arrive - tracking is vague.

I did receive the 120mm amber halo ring which will also be a dedicated blinker. I'm just waiting for the switchback one so I don't have to open up the headlight twice.
Its probably going to be a LED overkill but I'll decide whether to keep them after I see them installed.

In the meantime I just about finished the grille & posted a bunch of pics. Click the thread in my signature to see.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
The TSX projectors weren't bad as the have holes on the projector that you can use to mount it to the reflector bowl. I've seen pics of S2K projectors. Now those look like the biggest pain of any out there to mount.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
So today I got the flexible switchback LED strips inside of a diffuser tube. From here. I also got the large amber halos to use as front facing turn signals. Not sure but having all of those LEDs in the headlight might be overkill & without dimming them they might be too bright so we'll see if I add them both.

I also got a set of waterproof switchback COB LEDs from here which I've installed to the lower grille. I also posted these pics in my custom grille thread located in my signature. I got some light L-shaped aluminum from a hardware store (Ace I think) for super cheap and cut them to fit as a securing bracket for these lights. As you can see from the link they're cheap ($20) and from China off eBay. Rather than drilling/screwing/bolting the brackets onto the area I wanted to install them I just used automotive goop and let it set overnight.
Here's a pic of the lights and the aluminum I used for brackets.
Tool Metalworking hand tool Antique tool
Here's them installed on the lower grille but they're hidden behind the grille I made. You can see the yellow easily from behind it though (yellow on either side of the license plate).
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Headlamp Grille
After all was said and done I discovered that either one of the lights is bunk or its it's resister harness or my wiring. :( One lights up as its supposed to nice and bright and when the blinker is engaged it turns from white to a blinking yellow. The other light, however, flickers, is dim and does not blink amber.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Headlamp Bumper
Here's a pic of the good one mid-blink:
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Headlamp Light

So I ordered another pair of the lights and realized after a variety of ways to test it that I didn't do before putting it all back together (try the wire on the other light, etc). So whenever I have more free time & motivation I'll see if its actually the light, the harness it came with or my wiring (which I fear the most).

I'll update this thread as I continue to modify my lights and I'll even detail the opening of the headlight process this time.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
As it turned out I didn't wire them properly (neglected a ground wire), so once I got it sorted they work perfectly- solid white when parking lights are engaged and blink amber anytime a blinker is engaged.

I also got the switchback flexible tube style LED & a large amber that I was planning on installing set back from the smaller halo at the base of the projector schroud but I'm debating whether or not to do it... might be too much light.

I also got some halo diffusers which are basically ribbed clear plastic rings to put over the halos which would reduce the yellow-i-ness from the halos when they're not on. That's something I'm definitely going to install someday, but in the mean time I'm really liking the new switchback blinker installed int he lower grille. I haven't taken any pictures of it but its the same thing as the pics above except on the passenger's side too.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.