Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 CRV and recently put a 2" receiver on it and now find out that the uni-body won't support the weight of what I need to use it for. Does anyone KNOW of a way to strengthen the frame?

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Technically, there’s no frame, it’s a unibody, no frame that a body bolts to.

May I ask how much above the 150lb tongue weight limit are you looking at......is it something, other than a trailer, you will be attaching to the hitch?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Technically, there’s no frame, it’s a unibody, no frame that a body bolts to.

May I ask how much above the 150lb tongue weight limit are you looking at......is it something, other than a trailer, you will be attaching to the hitch?
I need to put a mobility scooter lift and scooter on it totaling about 300#.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
I'm thinking that would be too much weight.....and when you add the leverage of 300# on the hitch receiver when bouncing over bumps in the road, that could cause some serious damage.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There has to be a way. I tow this CRV behind my motorhome and need to take the scooter along without putting it in the back of the CRV. One option is to sell the CRV which is in excellent shape and go to another vehicle. GRRR

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Don't they make small trailers specific for mobility scooters? That way, the majority of the weight would be supported by the wheels of the trailer on the ground rather than all of the weight being on the hitch and CRV unibody.

FWIW, I use a very small utility trailer for all kinds of towing tasks (no mobility scooter). It's small/light enough that I can easily stand it up in the garage when not being used......handy as a pocket on a shirt.

Tire Automotive tire Alloy wheel Wheel Vehicle

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Will the hitch on your motorhome support the weight of the mobility scooter?.......then use a hitch extension to attach to the CRV tow bar. Scooter between the motorhome and CRV.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
all of this is bad advise, sorry. Very dangerous. DO NOT run hitch extensions and such moving that kind of weight, EVER unless it's some short trip through town.

CRV will not be able to handle that kind of weight no matter what. That's twice what the CRV is rated for.

fold the back seats down and buy a little ramp, put the scooter in the back of the CRV.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
all of this is bad advise, sorry. Very dangerous. DO NOT run hitch extensions and such moving that kind of weight, EVER unless it's some short trip through town.

CRV will not be able to handle that kind of weight no matter what. That's twice what the CRV is rated for.

fold the back seats down and buy a little ramp, put the scooter in the back of the CRV.

https://www.erniesinc.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/Hydra-Lift-2.jpg

Hey ase certifiable, don't tell this guy. More certifiable bad advise.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. hitch extension won't do the job. When we're out in the motorhome I need to use the CRV to see sights but need the scooter to be available. I have been putting the scooter in the back of the CRV but that is becoming more difficult and soon I'll be unable to get it in and out. Thanks for the ideas.

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,662 Posts
There isn't a viable way. Even if you could get the hitch to hold up, and the subframe where it is attached, which is highly doubtful, you'd need air shocks and possibly other reinforcement to the rear suspension. Even then, the front end of the CR-V would be too light, which would create instability in the towed vehicle. You would be creating a dangerous situation which would likely end up causing an accident or other serious damage. Years ago I spent a couple of years working in a custom handicapped vehicle shop. I can assure you that even with full size cars a considerable amount of reinforcement fabrication is required. I would advise that you go by one of these shops - there's probably one in your area - and ask them what they think. IMO you will need a larger tow vehicle, properly outfitted, to make this work. There is simply no way it can be safely done with a CR-V, and any attempt is just going to end in disaster.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
So.......the link I post showing the scooter on a lift with the vehicle being towed behind the motor home wouldn't work? The picture seems to show that it works. Maybe it's trick photography.

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,662 Posts
crv383 - No sir, I was talking specifically about the CR-V itself only. That contraption you showed in the link does look quite handy. Of course, it also looks quite expensive. But maybe that outfit has a unit made for handicapped scooters. Probably so. Likely cheaper too, especially since that Harley is way heavier than a scooter. It is something he could look into. I did recommend he go by a specialty shop, which would likely be able to fins something like this for him, especially if he downloads that picture and info and shows it to them. On the motor home itself I imagine the weight of the scooter and lift wouldn't even be noticeable. In fact, it might be possible to mount it in such a way that his existing tow bar would still work, with no extension. It is a pretty nifty idea. Even having done that kind of work in the past, I had never seen one of those. But like Cadillac Jack always said, anything can be anywhere.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
you said using hitch extensions. so you did.

The pictures you posted ARE NOT hitch extensions. Those are specifically designed to support the weight correctly on the back of the vehicle. Those are not just standard tow hitches BY ANY STRETCH.

Not sure why you have an obsession about getting butt hurt when you post something that is wrong, especially when your specific wording and suggested actions are a huge danger to the lives of others on the roads.

There is a massive difference between a properly engineered piece of equipment to do the job and simply throwing some parts on a 2" receiver and hoping for the best.

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
4,071 Posts
I don't know the towing capacity of your RV but one option could be to get an open car hauler, and secure both the CRV and the scooter to it.

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,662 Posts
Yup - Rocky's idea is a good one. A car-hauling trailer would probably be the least expensive solution. Again, though, you haven't told us the size/class of your motor home, or its weight, which is also a major factor in towing. Length is, too. If you have a Class A or a large B unit you have lots of options. With Class C you are very limited. For instance, a Class C one might handily pull a CR-V, but not a full size van or truck or car-hauling trailer. By that I mean, while it might actually pull such a load it would not likely be safe and stable. You need for your towing vehicle to be substantially larger/heavier than any towed one(s). Too much height, or length, or weight, or any combination of those, would over-tax the motor home suspension's ability to run down the road in a stable fashion. You might get by with some of that on a short trip, but long runs are a different thing.

All that said, if you have a Class C, that easily pulls the CR-V, it might not be stable at all with it up high on a trailer. Same thing with towing a larger vehicle, like a pickup or full size van/SUV that would handle the weight of a scooter and lift setup. Of course, adding a trailer also means maintaining another set of tires, bearings, lights, etc., along with securing the load properly, which is more work than loading a scooter.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Car hauling trailer is not an option. Class C has a 5,000 pound hitch and easily tows the CRV but will not tow a trailer and CRV. I would love to find a Chev Colorado or GM Canyon 4wd because they are towable 4 wheels down. However finding one is decent condition in the year range I'm looking for is near impossible. So, if I can't upfit the CRV to hold my scooter and lift I'll need to wailt until I locate one of the trucks that will work. Thanks to everyone for thew ideas.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Gary

as I mentioned before, see about simply putting it in the back. Heck if it's just 2 of you, take the back seats out. I can fit a fat bike (if you dont know it's the mountain bikes with 4-5" wide tires) with only the front wheel off. And I ride the largest size mass produced, XL. Not sure how well the 2006 seats fold down which is why I mention if needed and feasible, remove what gets on the way. Some light weight folding ramps and should be good to go.

As for 5000lb capacity, CRV curb weight is like 3500lbs if that. Leaves 1500lbs worth of trailer and such so some research may find something that will work.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts