Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I have a 2006 C-RV with barely over 130k miles on it. The car has been a fantastic daily other than 1 issue since the day I bought it. I have been trying to track down a coolant leak, and seemingly cannot figure out what it is. I have replaced the hose that goes from the head to the heater valve, only leaving the other heater core hose that goes from the pipe next to the head all the way to the heater core. I have attached some pictures so people can see the area of the leak. NOW FOR THE WEIRD PART! I live in Minnesota where we notoriously have some cold nights, and that's the ONLY time it will leak. I can drive it 200 miles in a day, not a drop of coolant lost. Park it overnight, and if its cold outside, there will be a small puddle underneath the car. I fixed that hose going from the head to the valve probably a month ago, not a leak since. Last night it was in the 20s in Minnesota, and it leaked all over my driveway again. Please chime in if you have any ideas before I dump all the coolant out again and start from square one. I really appreciate the help!

·
Super Moderator
1997, 2002, 2017 my expertese lies there
5,016 Posts
I put cardboard down, I put a camera out, and a light, and when it starts, you can then look, then wait the next morning. camp out to find it. i was going to say the plug o-ring on the rad the drain plug

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I put cardboard down, I put a camera out, and a light, and when it starts, you can then look, then wait the next morning. camp out to find it. i was going to say the plug o-ring on the rad the drain plug
It leaks in the exact same spot every single time. It leaks down off that gray cast tray area (full of old blue coolant) and then down onto the black brace beneath it, onto the transfer case/transmission and then onto the ground. I am leaning towards just replacing the other heater hose and going from there. My only concern is at $20+ per gallon for coolant, its not cheap to keep taking guesses at what it is. I was pretty sure I fixed it the first time, but turns out I was wrong XD

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My BIGGEST worry is that if you look in the 3rd picture, there is a lot of blue stains right where the head meets the top of the block. This makes me feel as if the headgasket is bad and allowing coolant to leak out of the cooling passages. I hope someone can shed some light. I really appreciate it

·
Registered
5 Posts
Have you tried pressure testing it yet when it’s cold out? That could let you visibly see where it is coming from and you can maybe stick your hand around and really feel where it’s coming from.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Have you tried pressure testing it yet when it’s cold out? That could let you visibly see where it is coming from and you can maybe stick your hand around and really feel where it’s coming from.

I left the pressure tester on it over night but it hasn't been all that cold here, maybe in the 40s at the lowest. Hoping a cold snap comes along so I can try again.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I left the pressure tester on it over night but it hasn't been all that cold here, maybe in the 40s at the lowest. Hoping a cold snap comes along so I can try again.
Wow that’s so weird, but I guess it makes sense. The metal will contract more when it’s cold but puzzling what exactly. And darn I am in Central Florida. When it hits the 40s we start covering our plants, wearing long pants, and typically 2-3 jackets .

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow that’s so weird, but I guess it makes sense. The metal will contract more when it’s cold but puzzling what exactly. And darn I am in Central Florida. When it hits the 40s we start covering our plants, wearing long pants, and typically 2-3 jackets .

We are in 2 very different climates then! Haha. We will see what happens, like I said I have a hard time believing the headgasket is just leaking coolant out the back between the head and the block due to the cooling system seeing such low pressures. I'm not burning any coolant either, so I know that's not an issue. It's just been dragging on for so long without me figuring out what it is, that's its starting to drive me nuts haha. Appreciate all the help though!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts