Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I'm driving a 2006 CR-V, using a 2.L K20A petrol engine mated to a 4AT. On a full tank, I get slightly less than 300km (~186 miles) of distance. It seems to be getting worse lately, and I'm wondering if the fuel pump is the cause of it. I had the pump changed more than a year back, but the mechanic said that the filter on the new pump was the wrong type, and put back the old filter instead.

Could that be the cause of it? Also, my car has about 4 months out of its 10-year lifespan left (cars in Singapore are only allowed on the roads for 10 years, after which a paid extension is necessary). Is this car worthy to be extended for another 10 years? No major problems so far, except for a slightly slanted steering wheel and the occasional air-con temperature hiccup (goes hot for a few seconds before becoming cold again).

Hope to get some solid advice here. Thank you!

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
It could be the cause of your increased fuel consumption. How about for power do you feel that it has decreased? When the fuel filter is clogged the logical thinking is that it will use less fuel because its restricted. But no this will make you depress the accelerator more this sums to increase fuel consumption. It could also be a coincidence. Do you have any check engine light on? When was the last time you had a tune up? When was the last time you replaced the spark plugs? For the slanted steering wheel , does the vehicle goes straight when you let go of the steering wheel on a level road? On the a/c does this happen after you shut off the a/c then turn back on? Or does this happen when you first start the vehicle? If so, the blend door might be getting stuck or binding. Let me know.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Your tank holds 15.3 gal of gas so 186mi is only around 12 mpg. That is really poor. :(
How many miles or km on your CRV?
As 'otto888man' asked, last time it had a tuneup?
Power loss felt?
Check engine light on (have codes read anyways in case that light isn't working)?
Air filter in decent shape? One poster found a plastic bag was restricting his air flow at the filter. Didn't see it until he removed the filter to check it.

Do you keep the oil changed regularly and use the recommended wt and quality?
If not, then the timing chain can really stretch and cause performance problems.
Does it idle rough and miss a lot?

What were the symptoms that caused you to have the fuel pump changed last time?

Take it to a good mechanic and have them look at it. With that poor fuel economy (running too rich), the catalytic converter is probably clogged up and/or the O2 sensors are failing. A code should be set.
Trouble codes need to be taken.

The AC problem could just be low freon (R134-a) in the system.
Not enough info to really be able to help out.

12 mpg, wow!!!

Buffalo4

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It could be the cause of your increased fuel consumption. How about for power do you feel that it has decreased? When the fuel filter is clogged the logical thinking is that it will use less fuel because its restricted. But no this will make you depress the accelerator more this sums to increase fuel consumption. It could also be a coincidence. Do you have any check engine light on? When was the last time you had a tune up? When was the last time you replaced the spark plugs? For the slanted steering wheel , does the vehicle goes straight when you let go of the steering wheel on a level road? On the a/c does this happen after you shut off the a/c then turn back on? Or does this happen when you first start the vehicle? If so, the blend door might be getting stuck or binding. Let me know.
I definitely feel that power has decreased, especially when moving off. Cruises fine at speeds of 80-90 km/h. No check engine light at all. Last time I sent it in for servicing was July 2015. Spark plugs were changed around that time too. When I let go of the steering wheel, it has a tendency to turn to the right. As for the a/c, it happens when I adjust the temperature to 26 or 27 degrees Celsius (it's usually at 24). What's a blend door?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Your tank holds 15.3 gal of gas so 186mi is only around 12 mpg. That is really poor. :(
How many miles or km on your CRV?
As 'otto888man' asked, last time it had a tuneup?
Power loss felt?
Check engine light on (have codes read anyways in case that light isn't working)?
Air filter in decent shape? One poster found a plastic bag was restricting his air flow at the filter. Didn't see it until he removed the filter to check it.

Do you keep the oil changed regularly and use the recommended wt and quality?
If not, then the timing chain can really stretch and cause performance problems.
Does it idle rough and miss a lot?

What were the symptoms that caused you to have the fuel pump changed last time?

Take it to a good mechanic and have them look at it. With that poor fuel economy (running too rich), the catalytic converter is probably clogged up and/or the O2 sensors are failing. A code should be set.
Trouble codes need to be taken.

The AC problem could just be low freon (R134-a) in the system.
Not enough info to really be able to help out.

12 mpg, wow!!!

Buffalo4
In addition to the answers I have to otto888man, I've clocked about 104,000km on my CRV. Air filter should be fine, but I would have to send it to a workshop to be sure.

Yup, oil changed regularly at Honda, and they use the recommended wt and quality. Not sure about the timing chain. Idling is pretty smooth.

I had ignition problems, where I'd have to crank for a few seconds to get the car started. The workshop (not Honda authorized)recommended the pump to be changed. Apparently, the filter that comes with the pump is not sold separately. I'm not sure how accurate that is to be honest.

I would love to send it back, but with 3 months of lifespan left, I'm not sure if this car is worth keeping. I'll have to fork out another S$40,000 to drive it for another 10 years, or scrap it to get a S$11,000 rebate and purchase a new car that will cost S$100,000 (Honda Vezel), that will last me another 10 years as well.

A big headache eh, haha.

·
Registered
750 Posts
With only 104 000 km on it, I would keep the CR-V beyond 10 years, if you can solve the consumption fault. I think the reliability of generation 2 (2002-2006) is very high. The reliability of the Vezel (HR-V) is not yet known. However, getting a new car can be very fun...

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
With only 104 000 km on it, I would keep the CR-V beyond 10 years, if you can solve the consumption fault. I think the reliability of generation 2 (2002-2006) is very high. The reliability of the Vezel (HR-V) is not yet known. However, getting a new car can be very fun...
Very well said!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Very well said!
Thanks guys, I'll see if I can solve the consumption problem. Just for reference, what's the average mileage I can expect for a full tank?

Also, what problems can I expect to crop up in the next 10 years, if I keep this car? I hope I won't have to change the gear box, but would an engine overhaul be necessary at this juncture?

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
The engine should last at least 200k miles (320,000 km or so), if maintained reasonably well with the proper oil, etc.
Your mpg should be double of what you are now getting, even in stop and go traffic.
The engine air filter is pretty easy to check yourself. (one person found a part of a plastic bag stuck on their engine air filter when they removed it to check it. Made a HUGE difference!) Rare occurrence!!!
Keeping the automatic transmission clean will almost ensure no AT failure (using Honda DW-1 or another compatible syntheticf atf product).
I believe the fuel filter is mainly just a fine mesh screen so if the old one was properly cleaned and installed, it would probably be fine, unless there was a lot of 'crap' inside the fuel tank itself. I doubt the fuel pump or its filter was the problem earlier.
Try to do more online research on your power loss and extremely poor mpg.
Buffalo4

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Could the pulling to one side be caused by a dragging brake caliper which is then causing the lowered MPG?

·
Registered
750 Posts
Thanks guys, I'll see if I can solve the consumption problem. Just for reference, what's the average mileage I can expect for a full tank?
I have a 2005 CR-V (UK built) with a 2.0 L petrol engine, manual gearbox. It burns 7.5 to 9 L per 100 km, depending on type of driving and on winter/summer tires. I do know my tank volume at the moment, but I easily get 500 km on a tank (and I do not run it all empty...)

·
Registered
750 Posts
I was going to suggest checking for the fairly common dragging caliper problem too.
I had that problem a year ago with the rear left. Felt the wheel was hot by chance. Now I regularly check if wheels are hot after driving. Honda dealer service said that rear calipers sticking is a recurring problem with generation 2.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry, I've been away. Thanks for the input, everyone. I will send it to the workshop for a check next week.

Assuming that I'm going to drive this car for the next 10 years, what foreseeable issues would I likely encounter? Trying to weigh the pros and cons before committing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts