Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 2WD 2006 CRV (new to me but 200K mileage) I started to change all the fluids, filters, etc. I drained the Automatic Transmission via the bolt on the sump. The info said that it would take apx 3.4 quarts. OK, I put in 3.4 quarts and do not see the fluid reaching the fill area mark on the dipstick. As it takes 7.5 quarts, could it possibly have been low, meaning it would need more fluid? As the 3 new quarts are in with the 4 "old" quarts, would think the fluid would be darker. Any thoughts? Guess I could put more in, check it, then drain excess out? Assuming that the fluid would be darkish on the dipstick? (Guess I could drain it from the cooler hose, then refill 7 qts of new fluid) Would you recommend a complete (via the hose) drain of the fluid?

·
Registered
2003 Honda CRV EX 2.4l AT
404 Posts
Since you don’t know the service history of the car, I would personally do a 3x drain and fill, perhaps 1 week apart each time.

I usually fill mine with 3qt to start, then check the dipstick and then fill up to the hash marks on the dipstick.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Since you don’t know the service history of the car, I would personally do a 3x drain and fill, perhaps 1 week apart each time.

I usually fill mine with 3qt to start, then check the dipstick and then fill up to the hash marks on the dipstick.
Thanks. Thought of that. Probably best as who knows what was in there or how dirty. The amount that came out was about 3 and was very dark, but not burnt.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,789 Posts
You can't effectively evaluate Honda ATF visually.

I agree with the thought of doing the D&F two more times (as stated) so that you KNOW what is in there. The 3X procedure will assure good performance without the necessity of breaking apart any old connections and creating potential leaks. At the end of the routine, make sure the level is proper.

Same goes for coolant...one D&F from the radiator petcock only changes ~half, which is enough to replenish its additives. So, just do another D&F in about a week.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
The 2006 2WD holds 6.9 qts of ATF----page 246 Owner's manual
Did you check it with the ATF at operating temp and just after shutting the engine off after going through ALL the gears, including R? The CR-V should be very level when you check the ATF.
Perhaps it was low before you drained it or the CRV wasn't level during the drain process?
If the ATF is extremely clean, it is very hard to see on the dipstick.
One trick is to hold the dipstick horizontally immediately after pulling it out of the tube and then reading both sides of the dipstick in bright light. The lower reading side is the real one.
If you can see it on the dipstick and it is still below the two holes, add some more. It takes about a pint to go from the low hole to the upper hole.
You cannot drain out all 6.9 qts ( even if you disconnect a line) as quite a bit will still be in the torque converter and it doesn't just 'drain' out of there.
If you decide to do a couple more drain and fills, drive it in between each one. (10 to several hundred miles).
If you decide to do shorter driving intervals, at least get the CRV up to hwy speed so that it goes into 'torque converter lockup' (like an 'overdrive' gear) so that 'old' fluid in it gets mixed with the new fluid.
It is usually a good idea to install a new crush washer on the drain plug after the last drain and fill. at least.
Buffalo4

1 - 5 of 5 Posts