Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep getting the engine check light coming on...the diagnostic meter shows mass volume airflow A circuit low....I have replaced the air sensor module but periodicly the check light comes on again sometimes going to limp mode
it does sometimes however clear itself . I have bought a cheap code reader so I can clear the check light myself but the problem is frustrating me.......can anyone out there help or any ideas ?
regards steve

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Steve,
I have exactly the same problem and it is driving me nuts.
Have posted some stuff under another thread 'look for 'Limp Mode with VSA light on'

I've done some things and spoken to my local dealer who say they have never needed to swap a MAF sensor (and only 1 TPS for that matter). They are talking about ECU swap or wiring loom. Neither of which I fancy due to cost and disruption.
Mine typically goes into Limp mode when I'm going slow for a period, looking for a parking space or similar.
Have you accessed the 'Freeze Frame' data before you reset/clear your trouble code.
Mine looks like (these are based on 12 events I've logged)
D$ 12
DTCFRZF p0102
Calc Load (pct) 20 - 40 (Typical values)
ECT 78 or 79 (my engine runs at one of these temps)
MAP (kPa) 100 to 114 (so around 14 - 15 psi or basically atmospheric pressure)
RPM 812 or slightly higher (my engine idles at 812RPM and this is most common)
VSS (km/hr) 5 - 30 (i.e 2 to 20 mph)
IAT 14 - 35 (input air temp - not sure where measured)
MAF (g/sec) 0 consistently see 0 for air flow
FRP (kPa) 30030 is most frequent reading, Fuel Rail Pressure, about 4300 psi so OK)
EGR commanded 20 - 30 %
EGR Error% 83-90% (on 9 occasions, seems v. high, not sure how calc'd)

I have swapped my MAF sensor - NO improvement
I have used EGR valve cleaning spray in the air intake - no real improvement
I cleaned the ECU plugs/pins and MAF plug/pins with spray contact cleaner - ran for about 15-30 days error free.
But last weekend had another 4 hits.
Today started to analyse wiring and found resistance of 30 ohm on one lead between MAF plug and ECU plug. This seems high - all other 4 wires are less then 1ohm.
Tonight asked Honda for wiring details so I can diagnose further. Not sure how responsive they will be.
If you can post your Freeze Frame data values, I'd be interested.

Seems like lots of wirinf loom replacements being 'offered' potential solutions to these off electrical faults on this engine in the CRV. Too expensive for me though and not real service.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hi
thanks for your interest...I have never done this before I/m glad I am not the only one suffering !!! I have bought a new sensor (£150) fitted it 2 weeks ago it seemed ok now its started again !!! seems to happen at low speed in car parks or at slow speed. I bought a reader from ebay only £16and now at least I can void the light myself but its so frustrating only had the car 2 months I love it but cannot trust in when this keeps recurring and I do not want to keep throwing money after it.I phoned the local Honda dealer who suggested to bring in to them to put on their diagnostic machine to investigate but I am hesitant as Christmas is almost amongst us
checked out the freeze frame it reads...
dtc fr zf po102
load 36.9
etc f 172
map 30.1
frp (psi) 43.55 .5
egr ptc 26.5
egr err 88.4

would appreciate any info or advice
kind regards
steve

·
Registered
7 Posts
Original fault is now happening more frequently, getting P0102 and going into limp mode. Also getting odd throttle 'indecision / hesitancy' at lower revs.
Did some measuring of resistance on the TPS and one channel is nice and linear, but the other is unpredictable in the first 20-30% of travel. This is a likely contributor to the throttle response issue.
Have done more research and the TPS fitted to this model of the diesel 2.2 engine is a 2 channel TPS, like having 2 normal ones operating at the same time. I've put my electrical meter on it and one channel goes from low resistance at closed throttle to high resistance at WOT (wide open throttle) and the other channel has high resistance when closed and low resistance when WOT. I guess this would allow the ECU to self calibrate the throttle set up.

One point I can't find any after market 2 channel throttle position sensors (non Honda) at all. Does anyone out there know which manufacturer makes them? It just has APS1 on it.

Plan to try to find a replacement throttle sensor first before tackling the low voltage from the MAF sensor (P0102 code).
So if anyone knows where to get the 2 channel / 6 wire sensors can they let me know please?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi All,

A quick update to this problem.
In summary have had P0102 check light and limp home problems plus odd throttle responses (seems like disconnected) since August last year.
Escalated to Honda who were helpful up to a point, when they said replace the wiring loom or ECU.
Did more diagnostics and couldn't find any faults in the wiring loom.
So decided to bite the bullet and address the ECU, got mine rebuilt with a new mother board by a company in Plymouth (not sure what the etiquette on naming companies is on the forum) and the good news is 11 days and 800 miles of trouble free motoring. ECU rebuild was about third the price of new ECU from Honda and I reckoned better than getting a second hand one as you can never be sure of it's compatibility and introducing another unknown.

:) So far this is a 'good fix'. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts