Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

I have a 2006 Honda CRV with 215K Miles.
For a while now the Interior and Exterior lights have started to flicker. New battery about 8 months ago. It also has the original alternator.

Exterior(Mostly meaning Headlights)
Interior( Mostly all lights).

Using a multi meter I have tested the battery, alternator and the grounds - From my testing the battery is being charged to 15v. But Alternator & Battery was tested by a shop and showed good.

When the car is on and idling at a stop the lights on the exterior flicker for a light on start up but stop when idling for a little bit, but the interior lights don't stop Flickering.

**One thing that I have found is that when I am driving and I pull up on the power window switches(to roll up and down the windows) the interior and exterior lights Stop Flickering, but releasing them it starts again.

In summary: Interior/Exterior lights flicker, but exterior doesn't when idling at a stop. They also stop when driving and pulling up on the power window switches. Original Alternator - 8 Month old Battery.

If anyone has any suggestions to what may be the issue they would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
9,225 Posts
What was resistance across all the ground points?

Have you ever tried connecting a jumper cable between battery minus (black) and the body or engine, to see if the flickering goes away?

There is a ground lug under the RH front bumper that could be a high-resistance point.

·
Registered
17 CRV EXL AWD, 14 CRV EXL AWD
2,046 Posts
I am assuming your discription of flicker is a pulsing not a random flicker. Which sounds like the symptoms of a bad diode in the alternator causing a high AC ripple on the DC bus. If you have a digital meter, switch it to AC and set it to it's min. range. You shouldn't see more than 50mv, typically its 10-20 mv. across the battery terminals. A bad battery such as a dead cell can throw the ripple test off.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Both Carbuff2 and Traylaw are correct; I've actually encountered both these issues in the many "clunkers" I've driven in my lifetime. :cry: If you rule out both of the above issues, mine will be the hardest to track down and rule out. A bad wire in the wiring harness, specifically worn insulation through rubbing on a live accessory wire. If you don't have a current draw with the ignition switch off and your battery isn't going dead overnight - It must be a live wire with the ignition switch on. If it popped a fuse, the problem would be easy to track down.
The key here is that the flickering stops when you raise or lower the windows. This is providing alternative path for the current to travel - therefore no more flickering. Check your harness for damage in the door jams, kick-plates, door sills and under your seats.
It took me a month to track mine down on an old VW Jetta, I used to drive. Then again it wasn't a priority, since it still ran and got me to where I wanted to go. A few hours here and a few hours there and a whole lot of cussing.

Good Luck IB919

·
Registered
30 Posts
What was resistance across all the ground points?

Have you ever tried connecting a jumper cable between battery minus (black) and the body or engine, to see if the flickering goes away?

There is a ground lug under the RH front bumper that could be a high-resistance point.

View attachment 140540
This must be the cleanest undercarriage picture I've ever seen. ;) Even the wheel well liners are clean and shines. (y)

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
9,225 Posts
👆 I took that pic when the car was 6 months old....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all for the suggestions! I will give these a shot and will let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am assuming your discription of flicker is a pulsing not a random flicker. Which sounds like the symptoms of a bad diode in the alternator causing a high AC ripple on the DC bus. If you have a digital meter, switch it to AC and set it to it's min. range. You shouldn't see more than 50mv, typically its 10-20 mv. across the battery terminals. A bad battery such as a dead cell can throw the ripple test off.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm having same problem with my 2005 CRV 134K miles the flickering is random tho not steady. exterior and interior. It only flickers when driving,doesn't when idling or stopped. its worst when speeding up or slowing down. sometimes doesn't flicker at all. its more of a fluctuates than flicker, they don't go off and on its the brightness that flickers. I've had the car 1 1/2 yr with no problem and it started soon after I had the engine cleaned to find a small leak and got new tires tested battery and altern multiple times all good. can.t test when having problem because only happens while driving. checked grounds and they are clean and tight. battery is newer and tests well, alternator could be original. any ideas?

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
9,225 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Checked continuity to battery negative, or just visual?:unsure:
The mechanic hooked it up and checked said everything is functioning fine. my battery wasn't secured well so he tightened it. it's still having problem, so my son and I checked the cables and grounds again visually and by hand. Cables are all newer, tight and clean, as are both grounds.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
9,225 Posts
NICE CLEAN engine bay! :cool:

BUT did you check continuity? It isn't going to be zero, but the ohm readings would help.

PS: I can see that the battery terminals have been replaced, they are NOT the genuine Honda type. Hmmm. You might want to protect those bare wires with anti-corrosion spray, or grease.

Also, as you said, you couldn't test the battery when the flicker was actually happening. Could be a loose cell inside the battery.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thank you! I also think the battery seems small for the car, which has power everything. and the battery looks newer, but no date is on it, so I don't know for sure. I'm taking it to someone tomorrow to trouble shoot it for me. Will let you know if I get an answer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update: Sorry for such a late update and so far no fix :( But one night I was giving someone a ride home and they where in the front passenger seat and I noticed that my headlights were not flickering or pulsing "as much" but they still did but minimal. I have tried testing this a few times and anytime I have a passenger the flickering or pulsing reduces. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Update: Good news! It has been 2 days now since I have decided to replace my alternator and that has so far fixed my issue. I am happy to say I have experienced zero flickering or pulsing with my lights!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts