Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2006 Honda CRV. Drove fine yesterday morning. It cracks but doesn't kick over to start, Just replaced plugs and coils in the last month. Sometimes when trying to start it, it wouldn't start right away or it would but barely. Not all the time. Normally after doing a lot of errand running. Just trying to get a idea of possible causes. I am not very car repair savvy was just trying to get a general idea of possible causes and how much fixing them may run. Or if any of you fine people have any ideas I can try. Thanks!

Took a video. Around 17/18 seconds there was what sounded like an electrical zap. Not sure if its normal. I have heard it few times before.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Broken,loose or disconnected wiring in the ignition circuit?
Worn, Faulty, dirty spark plugs?

That zapping noise sounds like an electric arc across a frayed wire or something

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Broken,loose or disconnected wiring in the ignition circuit?
Worn, Faulty, dirty spark plugs?

That zapping noise sounds like an electric arc across a frayed wire or something
Thank you for your reply. Spark Plugs and Coils were both replaced about a month ago. I did here this zapping noise before and after. I have a mechanic who lives up street from me I am going to ask to take a glance. I was just wondering if anyone here had any ideas. It could possibly be wires tho I do not visibly see any issues.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
I did this check in 1979 ,, if the car is in garage , keep it in dark, raise hood and use a water sprayer with light mist to spray over spark plug wires and cap. If the wires are cracked and discharging it will show up thru the mist , but must be dark to see it.

·
Registered
188 Posts
its either u not getting fuel to ur motor or u don't got spark. the easy way to check for not getting fuel is spray some carb cleaner into ur throttle body if it start might be ur fuel pump. to check for spark get a spark tester and test each coil pack for spark.

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
I did this check in 1979 ,, if the car is in garage , keep it in dark, raise hood and use a water sprayer with light mist to spray over spark plug wires and cap. If the wires are cracked and discharging it will show up thru the mist , but must be dark to see it.
His CRV doesn't have a distributor or spark plug wires. That method does work well if you have a distributor, though. I used it on my 55 Chevy. :)
Buffalo4

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
One of the more common no-start causes was the Main Relay, which sends power to the fuel pump,among other things. Search for that cause on the internet.
There are also ways to check for spark, safely. Search for it.
It is usually a no spark or no fuel problem. Both can be caused by a blown fuse, etc also.
When you first turn the key to the ON position, can you hear the fuel pump start?
Does the check engine light start blinking or stay on when you turn the key to the ON position?
If so, try another key. Look online for other suggestions.
A badly worn timing chain can also cause starting problems. Did you have symptoms before you put new plugs, etc in?
Did you use the recommended spark plug brand and number?
What were the symptoms that caused you to change the coils and plugs in the last month?
Buffalo4

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
3,575 Posts
Any added anti theft device?
Is there a valve in the fuel rail that you can access to check you are getting fuel to the engine?
Any other work done on the engine?
Battery sounds good, is it?
Are the new plugs the correct type?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts