Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Vehicle leaked small amounts of oil. Had oil changed and still leaked. Mechanic thought it was from oil pan, used die to locate leak, said it was front timing cover seal. Now has quoted front timing cover seal plus crankshaft seal replacements at $475 (most of this is labor which I understand) and may be another $100 to replace oil pan seal if there is still signs of a leak. Assume it is difficult to locate source of leak...have you had similar experience? Anything else that should be checked for leaking while he has access? :confused:

·
Registered
252 Posts
Haven't experienced that myself, but sounds reasonable. Guessing the dye is showing up at the bottoms front and its difficult to determine if the pan is included.

Don't want to add more grief to your situation, but when you need work like that done it's a good time to consider replacing the water pump as well since you're right there.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Another post suggested replacing timing belt and water pump at 105k miles and further doing all drive belts at that time. I am at 103k miles. Should there be a savings to have water pump done now because of easy access? Is extensive labor involved in replacement of timing belt and drive belts if I choose to have that done later?

·
Registered
252 Posts
Your '06 has a timing chain, not a belt. Belts stretch and require replacement - chains typically do not require that same maintenance. The serpentine drive belt can be easily replaced at any time so there is no need to replace it now unless it shows signs of wear. But yes, the water pump is a bit more involved which is why many people suggest replacing it if major work in that area is being done. Fortunately, the water pump itself is not expensive and should not add much to your repair.

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
I agree with TomKatt. In regards about the timing chain be sure you change the oil on schedule as the timing chain is lubricated by the engine oil. Also have them flush the coolant as a preventive maintenance.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
I would suggest u replace the timing chain,tensionor, and the 3 guides since they will already be down there. Aftermarket timing chain kit is 100 bucks. This is on my todo list since the crv has 210k miles on it
The vehicle has 103K miles on it. There is absolutely no reason to change the timing chain...period!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Jessica95 aka Elaine

Do not intend to replace timing chain at this juncture. Timing Cover seal and Crank Shaft seal for oil leaks plus change out of water pump is quoted around $800. Mechanic not sure if oil pan seal needs replacing as well (an additional $100). Truly hoping that oil leak issues will be over for now with these change outs but I am getting no guarantee. Feel water pump change out is reasonable since they are already in there.
Do appreciate all the advice offered.

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
I agree with Coastie05. Its too early to replace any Timing chain components. Just be sure that the tech is using good quality seals to prevent come backs. Use Fel-Pro brand or OEM. I have good luck with them. We are here to help.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts