Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2006 with 117K on the clock has paint issues. The worst is on the hood where there are
two spots with fading and oxidizing paint. I've tried wax and compound without much success.
Finally ran by a recommended shop to see just what the cost might be to paint and match.

The quote is $605 with about 60% of the cost in labor and the balance supplies.

While I'd like to clean up the looks of the vehicle I'm a little hesitant to spend 10%
of the vehicles value for vanity.

My history is to buy dependable used vehicles and drive them until the repair costs
break my tolerance level. Drove a '97 CRV until it had 256K miles and too many
warts. Driving older vehicles has never bothered me as long as the dependability factor
was there.

Any thoughts ?

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
9,479 Posts
Depending on how smooth the surface is, you may want to consider wrapping just the hood panel. A complimentary color (a shade darker or lighter of the same) would look OK. Would be cheaper than paint.

A family member had a previously repainted hood start to fade as yours did. He got it wrapped in a matte black...

·
Registered
24 Posts
You may want to consider looking for a matching color hood in better condition at a junk yard. That’s probably a cheaper route than repainting.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
You may want to consider looking for a matching color hood in better condition at a junk yard. That’s probably a cheaper route than repainting.
This. Cheapest route and easiest. Probably a pretty good chance of finding a replacement hood in the right color if you look around.

Simple repainting isn't as simple as some may think. A DIY job from someone not experienced will look worse than your current hood within a year or 2.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I finally pulled the trigger on this. Decided to have the roof done too, and the whole job was $900.
Shop advised that the cause for the paint was the clear coat wearing out, and my passenger door is suffering from the beginnings of the same fate. Since it does not receive direct sunlight maybe it will be a few years before that door becomes an issue worthy of action.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts