Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what's idle suppose to be on these 4 cyl engines when warmed up, mines about 800; does this seem normal? cold starts and idle in park/neutral is around 1500rpm. trying to diagnose low fuel economy; was around 20/21 city, then I adjusted valves, changed spark plugs, and new air filter; the following tank was 18/19 and this current tank seems to be dropping fast. I checked the plugs and they were at the correct manual gap, .040 I think it was. Gonna pull the plugs and verify the gap but if that's all good, is there anywhere else to investigate? thinking maybe a vacuum leak in relation to the idle, or are those idle numbers correct for these engines.

thanks

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
12,154 Posts
800 RPM in neutral sounds about right. If its an automatic in gear, that's a bit high.

Cold idle in neutral is fine.

After you did the work, did you do the Idle Learn Procedure?

There's not a lot of vacuum lines in the 2006. But worth checking them anyway (there's a sticker under the hood). Clean the throttle body before doing the ILP, but I don't think that will significantly affect fuel consumption.

Did they recently switch to winter-blend gasoline in your area?

+++++++++++++

I always recommend the following test to folks who experience poor MPG:

Warm up engine, then fill up your tank. Note mileage.
Go on a nice long trip (at least 100 miles) then fill up again on the way home. Manually calculate the fuel usage (miles divided by gallons).

Post back with results.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
800 RPM in neutral sounds about right. If its an automatic in gear, that's a bit high.

There's not a lot of vacuum lines in the 2006. But worth checking them anyway (there's a sticker under the hood). Clean the throttle body before doing the ILP, but I don't think that will significantly affect fuel consumption.

+++++++++++++

Go on a nice long trip (at least 100 miles) then fill up again on the way home. Manually calculate the fuel usage (miles divided by gallons).

Post back with results.
thank you sir. yes vehicle is automatic; and in gear it's about 800 rpm when warmed up to operating temps. I did NOT to the idle learn procedure; what is this and how can I perform it? they may have switched the gasoline blend recently, I couldn't tell ya though to be honest. I did the valves, put maybe 150ish miles on it and went in to recheck them, they were too noisy in my opinion, found all exhausts to be too loose; readjusted and filled tank. now it's quieter and about 40 miles into the second tank since valve adjustment, air filter, and spark plug swap; totaling maybe 200ish miles total. your method of checking fuel economy is the way I've always done it and get my findings. i'll run through this tank and see what it does.

thanks!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
that's it?! seems pretty simple

1-disconnect FI-ECM fuse 15 mins
2-KOEO 2 seconds, start engine
3-3000 rpm till fans come on or engine is up to 194 (I didn't hear fans kick on so I let the temp gauge on dash go all the way up, and then gave it a few more mins to ensure it was thoroughly warmed up)
4-let idle for 5 mins (again I didn't hear fans kick on, so I let it go about 6 mins to be safe)
5-turn off.

that's the procedure I did, so well see how the next tank of fuel goes once I fill it up in a few days!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
haven't poked this topic for a while. vehicle still idles the same but starts a bit easier it seems. still at about 800 warmed up and IMO a bit rough. feather it up to 900-1000 and it's smooths out. vehicle is getting consistently "not so great" fuel mileage too, about 150 per half tank, averaging to about 20 or so mpg; wondering if the idle is related so wanted to start there.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

+++++++++++++

Post back with results.

is there a write up on the throttle body removal and cleaning procedure?

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
12,154 Posts
is there a write up on the throttle body removal and cleaning procedure?
Not really (unless you can find one on YouTube).

It's easy tho'. Remove the L-shaped rubber hose from the air filter housing to the throttle body. Note how many plugs you disconnect.

Then soak a lint free cloth rag with intake cleaner. Clean the bore of the TB, and BOTH sides of the throttle butterfly. (Don't spray into the TB, you could damage the throttle body sensor)

Replace the L shaped rubber hose, and plug in the sensors. (I forgot one once. <BLUSH> )

Then do the Idle Learn Procedure.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
12,154 Posts
No, when you remove the rubber tube, you can open the butterfly with your finger and clean both sides (and the housing around it). No need to remove the throttle body assembly.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
haha, seriously?! man these Honda's are great to work on, so far from all the stuff I've done it wasn't frustrating at all! (this is my first honda). I can pull that air filter tube off no problem, anyway once it's all off and I can get a rag to clean in there, just wipe the "bore" and both sides of butterfly?! I notice honda has a special specific cleaner just for this, is that required or can I use any throttle body cleaner

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
12,154 Posts
Any intake cleaner can be used...you are not going to spray it in (that can damage the sensor inside).

If you are buying something I've used this stuff:

EDIT Spray the cleaner on a rag, not directly, to play it safe.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts