Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

2006 throttle position/APP help

3923 Views 13 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  Tigris99
no CEL, no codes, starts and runs fine. when cold, off idle it's "jumpy" as in a surge kinda of with rpm, around the 1500ish-3000ish range. seems to get a little better as it warms up and gets temperature. in my opinion it's acting as if the TPS is messed up, gets to a certain rpm point and starts doing it. what throws me off is NO CEL/MIL are on, and no codes. checked wiht a matco pro scan plus scanner, NOT the honda HDS. my service manual says to check the APP (accelerator pedal position) sensor, it should be less than 2% to be considered ok, my matco scanner is calling it throttle position, so not sure it's even that same sensor my scanner is reading. anyway KOEO the TPS is at 18% closed, KOEO *** is at 79%. seems to me my TPS is garbage, but wanted to check with others and see ur opinions....
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
892 Posts
Check the throttle plate. May need to clean the throttle body. The drive by wire throttle bodies use the throttle motor to set the idle. So as it gets dirty, the computer opens it a little further to achieve the desired idle speed. If it sits at a higher percentage, its usually a sign of a dirty throttle plate. When looking at those numbers, keep in mind that if it is running, and you have the air conditioner on or other loads, it will raise the engine speed slightly.

· Registered
892 Posts
dirty throttle body makes sense for it to compensate and change the numbers, but it would start sensing all that once the engine is running, no? those percentages I have are all with the engine off, KOEO. so, from tigris post, mines almost double what it should be-no good. can't just the sensor be changed or do you need to get the whole sensor/spring assembly?
No. That is a stored value that it keeps all the time. It changes gradually over time and saves it for base idle.

· Registered
892 Posts
The 05-06 were drive by wire. Meaning there is an electric stepper motor that operates the throttle plate instead of a cable attached to the accelerator pedal. That motor does the job of an IAC valve as the computer can control it regardless of your input.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.