Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just got an '06 crv with 98000 on it. mint condition, original owner, dealer maintained. few weeks after I bought, found out it has a timing chain instead of belt. great! my questions is, does this ever require replacement or anything? with almost 100k on the car, what types of replacement items should I be concerned about or save up for? I was always under impression chains didn't need replacement unless something unusual happens, but are these Hondas the same way? it's my first Honda...

·
Registered
24 Posts
just got an '06 crv with 98000 on it. mint condition, original owner, dealer maintained. few weeks after I bought, found out it has a timing chain instead of belt. great! my questions is, does this ever require replacement or anything? with almost 100k on the car, what types of replacement items should I be concerned about or save up for? I was always under impression chains didn't need replacement unless something unusual happens, but are these Hondas the same way? it's my first Honda...
In theory, the chain doesn't need replacement.
In practice...while there is no replacement interval, chains on Gen2 have failed.

I had to replace the one on my Gen2, at approx 110K miles (harsh driving conditions, poor maintenance)
There have been other reports timing chains stretching, or oxidization of the oil reservoir that keeps the chains lubricated.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In theory, the chain doesn't need replacement.
In practice...while there is no replacement interval, chains on Gen2 have failed.

I had to replace the one on my Gen2, at approx 110K miles (harsh driving conditions, poor maintenance)
There have been other reports timing chains stretching, or oxidization of the oil reservoir that keeps the chains lubricated.
what kinds of things will I notice if the chain is on it's way out? thing has no ticks or rattles at all...yet.

also. looks like in what I've read from the manual, valves need to be adjusted at 110k. how bad of a job is this to do?

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
Congratulations on your purchase! The 05 & up they did not have any problem with the timing chain. The 02 & 03 some models have problem with the timing chain stretching. Just keep changing the oil on time as the engine oil lubricates the timing chain. If you skip the change oil interval this makes the oil thicker & will starve the chain & thus stretching it. If you are not comfortable in adjusting the valve lash I'd suggest to take it somewhere. If the timing chain starts to stretch you'll hear it rattling. Cam position sensor codes will come up. Have the valve lash adjusted on or before 110k. when the engine is stone cold. Replace the coolant, air, cabin, check the drive belt condition, power steering fluid, brake fluid, Rear diff fluid be sure you only use Dual Pump fluid, transmission fluid, PCV valve. Let us know.

·
Registered
24 Posts
what kinds of things will I notice if the chain is on it's way out? thing has no ticks or rattles at all...yet.

also. looks like in what I've read from the manual, valves need to be adjusted at 110k. how bad of a job is this to do?

Leading up to the issue with my 2004, I skipped several oil changes. I'm not proud of that, but its worth mentioning as it almost certainly created the environment that caused the timing chain problem to begin with.

There wasn't much warning leading up to the timing chain trouble. I live in a rural northern town. A blizzard had moved through the night before causing a lot of damage to the surroundings. When I started the car to evacuate the area, the Check Engine light came on. Shortly after, the engine started missing. Whatever trouble was brewing, the storm seemed to push it over the endge.

This got dangerous. I'd be driving through an intersection and the engine would slow way down, like it was going to stall out.

The check engine codes were a mess. First code said the O2 sensor was bad -- not unheard of for a car with that mileage. Changed that, the engine seemed to run fine for a short period of time, then the trouble returned. Check engine light kept going away and coming back. Different codes each time. Engine kept losing power. Took a few trips to the heavy diagnostics at the dealer to isolate the issue to the timing chain -- it wasn't an obvious problem.

It sounds like yours was maintained well. It may not be something that you've ever had to worry about. Welcome to the addiction.:HighFive:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Congratulations on your purchase! The 05 & up they did not have any problem with the timing chain. The 02 & 03 some models have problem with the timing chain stretching. Just keep changing the oil on time as the engine oil lubricates the timing chain. If you skip the change oil interval this makes the oil thicker & will starve the chain & thus stretching it. If you are not comfortable in adjusting the valve lash I'd suggest to take it somewhere. If the timing chain starts to stretch you'll hear it rattling. Cam position sensor codes will come up. Have the valve lash adjusted on or before 110k. when the engine is stone cold. Replace the coolant, air, cabin, check the drive belt condition, power steering fluid, brake fluid, Rear diff fluid be sure you only use Dual Pump fluid, transmission fluid, PCV valve. Let us know.
thanks! the valve lash I think I could handle it. I've done it on chevy's before so....if that judges anything. how long does it take, how much would it typically cost in labor if I took it to a shop, and is there a good "how-to" anywhere for the 2006? when I bought it I skimmed through the maintenance records from the original owner, all from honda dealers and there was coolant flushes, brake fluid flushes, ps flushes, diff flushes, anything you could think of!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts