Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
new to Hondas, read in my manual the "trans procedure" is simply draining and filing 3 times; no filter? also do these transmissions have a pan, or is there just a plug underneath there to drain, and then fill through dipstick port? I understand it's crucial to use only honda ATF.

mines been done fairly recently, maybe 10-15k ago, but maybe 2-3 years back. time to do it again or just run it? it shifts and runs just fine, has a SLIGHT whine/hum around 50mph but goes away, kinda fades in and out so I think it may be something else like a bearing or whatnot. but in terms of transmission performance and shifting, seems 100% fine to me.

thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Yes, drain-fill-drive and then repeat twice more.

Between each drain-and-fill go for a long enough drive that the transmission shifts through all the gears, then do the next drain-and-fill.

·
Not-a-Mechanic
2011 CR-V 4WD EX
483 Posts
These Honda transmissions been the same for a while. We simply drain the 3+ quarts and top it off with Honda fluid. Some do it every other oil change, IIRC the book is like 40k miles. I would only do the multiple fill if it's real bad or you suspect it's been neglected.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
These Honda transmissions been the same for a while. We simply drain the 3+ quarts and top it off with Honda fluid. Some do it every other oil change, IIRC the book is like 40k miles. I would only do the multiple fill if it's real bad or you suspect it's been neglected.

tell me what you guys think; otherwise i'm just gonna leave it. it runs drives and shifts fine. I was just thinking and the last time it was done was 9/2016 @ 90000. it now has 98500 on it. looks and smells ok to me and with it driving and shifting with no signs of problems....I think 2 years and 8500 miles is good enough for the fluid still..

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
There is no need to do the entire change. do 1 drain and fill and be done. It literally takes about 5 minutes. Drain plug requires a 3/8 ratchet (no socket) and can reach it without jacking the vehicle up in the air.

Best to do a single drain an fill once a year (you've driven that so little in 2 years it probably needs other service too, bottle of injector cleaner in the gas tank at least) than push it out and do all of it at once which is a big pain in the rear.

So right now do a single drain and fill of 3.5 or so qts and not mess with it again for another year. 5-10 minutes once a year or every couple years spending a good couple of hours or so (because things get nice and hot which then sucks trying to drain it) dealing with it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
viperblck, FYI, 2010 CRV w/104k mi. Just did my first DIY ATF change after 22k miles since last (dealer) change back in Oct 2016. The drained fluid was just very slightly darker than the replacement fluid, and pretty clear, so I settled on a 1X drain/replace. Note: The drain plug was on VERY tight and I didn't have the front raised so I was limited to a smaller ratchet and its lack of leverage. Resolved by using the car jack trick to push up on the end of the ratchet to break free the plug - worked as advertised.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts