Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had to replace the radiator on my 06. The factory radiator had one fitting that was threaded onto the cooler line with female thread and a second that appeared to be soldered in place. The new radiator had two male fittings-I went to a radiator shop and was given a female fitting with brass nipple identical to the other existing fitting.

Both fittings threaded on to new radiator fine, however the new fitting-which was placed on the passenger side connection of the radiator-would thread on hand tight and stop in the upright position. If I attempted to tighten with a wrench it would not make another full turn to bring the nipple back upright to connect to the hose. A quarter turn to make tight would have moved the nipple from its original position and I would not have been able to get the hose on. Neither the new fitting or the one removed from the factory radiator had any type of o ring or seal inside.

I was concerned about the loose fitting so I applied pipe dope to the connection and put everything together. After running the car and it cooling down a small amount (approx. 1 tablespoon) will leak from this line or fitting overnight. It does not appear to be coming out under pressure as it is a small amount and is dripping down the radiator bracket and plastic trim and not spraying up/forward.

I tried twice re-mounted the hose making sure to push it past both ribs on the fitting and also added a second screw or worm type hose clamp. This seems to have possibly slowed down the leak but I am still finding residue of transmission fluid underneath. Each time I have reseated the line I wiped all the parts down and even blew out the radiator bracket with compressed air.

Any ideas on if I did anything wrong or what might be done to eliminated the very slow leak? I am not going to use a stop leak type product in the transmission. I started to permatex around the nut portion of fitting but there is not room to do a clean job.

Would rather not pull the radiator again at this point. This started out as fan replacement that turned into a pinhole in the radiator-I have taken everything apart three times now.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey jdh78,

Did you get the leak fixed yet? If not, could you take a pic so we can see the fitting itself that's leaking? If it's still leaking but only very small I'd say that its still safe to drive the car as long as it doesn't turn into a fluid pressure drop in the line. Also if you tried to redo the fitting again to make sure you got it sealed well so as not to leak again.

Hope this helps and take care!

Frank

1 - 2 of 2 Posts