Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anybody ever have a prone issue at a given speed? only notice it around 50mph, fades in and out, never a constant noise. sounds like a whine/moan/hum to me. load/no load doesn't affect it. only around 50, all else is quiet. jacked up the front end and with hands at 12 and 6 wiggled the wheels, bother were tight so I assume hub bearings are ok.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
there is a 100 things that can do that. But yes a tires will make that noise at a much wider speed range (bad tire). It could be in the engines and transmission as well.

As I tell most here, online is literally the worst place to try and diagnose issues because many times it has to go to a mechanic anyway and if you come in telling them to do something because the internet said so, they will do it but when it doesnt fix the problem, they arent going to feel bad or cut you a break when you want them to actually figure it out and fix it.

Once you go over the obvious stuff (parts loose, tire out of round etc) and cant find it, take it to a tech. Easier and cheap in the long run.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
126 Posts
maybe?! I assumed all those ok as they were all new in may 2018 and wouldn't that cause a constant vibration?
What I mean is the wheel/tire could be out of balance. One of the stick on weight they used to balance the wheel/tire can come off. When the wheel/tire is out of balance they usually show up at hwy speed...~50-70 mph.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What I mean is the wheel/tire could be out of balance. One of the stick on weight they used to balance the wheel/tire can come off. When the wheel/tire is out of balance they usually show up at hwy speed...~50-70 mph.
I feel an out of balance would cause a vibration due to the imbalance, wouldn't it? at my whine issue around 50, it's dead smooth..BUT when I get up to 70-80 it does have a shimmy, I couldn't find anything loose either in suspension components. sometimes it's smooth though at the 70-80 speeds

·
Registered
126 Posts
I feel an out of balance would cause a vibration due to the imbalance, wouldn't it? at my whine issue around 50, it's dead smooth..BUT when I get up to 70-80 it does have a shimmy, I couldn't find anything loose either in suspension components. sometimes it's smooth though at the 70-80 speeds
The whine issue you’re describing can be many variables (tranny, rear diff etc..). Checking the wheel/tire balance is the easiest thing you can do without spending too much time or removing a lot stuff.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Out of balance wont cause a whine. a bad tire can though.

Could be a wheel bearing, rear differential and so on. Take it to a shop so someone that knows what they are doing can look at. I am a tech, have been all my life. I can give a lit of the correct things to check but if your not a mechanic you'll have no idea if a part is good or bad unless it's very obvious (bulge in a tire, tire or part very loose and clunking).

I understand that everyone wants to come online to find an answer on a forum or YouTube to save money because so many claim that mechanics screw you over (some do, but most dont, and we have to pay for the shop, all the tools and equipment, cant do that on $10/hr though what places like dealers and big franchises charges is FREAKING INSANE). Plus 95% of DIY guys end up doing jobs 2 or 3 times because they miss something or make a mistake. Then on top of that the cheap parts dont last, not installed completely correctly so even good parts fail prematurely. Many shops will only charge a small fee to diagnose (and take it off the bill if you have them do the repair)

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts