Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
2006 Honda CR-V 4WD standard
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there - frequent reader, first time poster.

I've got a delightful 2006 CR-V standard that I love, and it's about to hit 300k. It's third hand at this point, I've had it for four years. Recent repairs have included brakes/rotors/calipers, tires, and a knock sensor. I replaced my own cabin/engine air filters and spark plugs this week, which was a great learning curve for me. It originally came from the Pacific coast of Canada, so I've been told by a couple shops that the bottom of the vehicle is pretty rusty.

What I'm wondering, for your folks who are keeping these old beauties running, as my CRV ages, what should I be frequently checking on to keep her running? I've got an oil/filter change and a check up booked next week (and a VSA caution light that's been stuck on since my catalytic converter got stolen and replaced - the (insurance mandated) shop would not fix or read me the code). Is there anything I should keep an eye out for?

Any help would be appreciated - this has been a great car to learn how to drive stick, and also some basic car maintenance.

Thanks so much!

Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
WELCOME!

Stick-shift Gen2 FTW! :giggle:馃А

If you have an owners manual, the service intervals should be in it. Remember that the Manual Trans Fluid should be replaced periodically, as well as brake & clutch fluid. Coolant every 5 years

I'd be checking valve lash as well.

Ours 'only' has 188K, but that is miles not km.:p

Registered
2006 Honda CR-V 4WD standard
Discussion Starter #3
WELCOME!

Stick-shift Gen2 FTW! :giggle:馃А

If you have an owners manual, the service intervals should be in it. Remember that the Manual Trans Fluid should be replaced periodically, as well as brake & clutch fluid. Coolant every 5 years

I'd be checking valve lash as well.

Ours 'only' has 188K, but that is miles not km.:p
Great - thanks for the tips! Though my CR-V must have felt her ears burning today because I took her in for a tire rotation and I need to replace all of my struts, apparently 馃檭 Taking it into a different shop for an oil change Tuesday for a second opinion on that chunk of change.

Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
If your V passes the 'bounce test' and goes over bumps without noises, disregard.

Ours still has the original struts. We have repaired our front control arm bushings and replaced the sway bar bushings.

Registered
You should change all of the fluids. Who knows when the last time anything was changed other than oil. Transmissions D&F, brake fluid, coolant, rear diff. All things you can do yourself under $150 total buying on amazon. I just picked up a 06 with 240k and all the fluids were extremely dark having burnt smell.

Registered
that stupid rear gate ajar light. i took the switch out and took my dremel and elongated the mount hole and slid it toward the door so now it works.

Registered
that stupid rear gate ajar light. i took the switch out and took my dremel and elongated the mount hole and slid it toward the door so now it works.
I have this same door ajar light on too, I'll try what you did. Thanks for the tip

Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
You know, an easier way to turn off that light is to fold the rubber boot over to double it's thickness, or put a washer under the boot. OR, try a vacuum line cap.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts