Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in NYC and have been car-less for about a year and a half now. I've been pretty miserable not having something to get out to the beach or out of the city to hike, camp, etc. Had a used 2003 Civic for 10+ years before it bit the dust and I'm gearing up to buy my weekend getaway/recreational vehicle.

I know very little of what to look for and am looking at cars solo. It's been an intimidating/frustrating process so far going around to private sellers as a 30-something woman who clearly doesn't know what she's doing. I almost bought a CRV that I liked before buying the carfax report and realizing the seller had wound the odometer back 100k :mad:

Was initially looking at purchasing a 2003/2004 CRV. I don't want to finance and this will be a car that lives on the streets in New York, so a brand new purchase just does not make sense (nor will it for me financially). At the same time, I don't want to buy something that is going to require a major repair or that I'll have to continue sinking $ into. After seeing nearly a dozen cars in the last few months I'm learning that I probably need to increase my budget and look at newer models. Most of what I've test driven has seemed sketchy/faulty in one way or another.

Coming here looking for some advice on whether the newer 2007-2008 have proven to be more reliable and maybe what I should be looking for when looking. One of the main reasons I've wanted a CRV is to be able to turn it into a sleeper (was very inspired by a thread here with someone building a platform for their 6000mi roadtrip, can't include the link or this post will be considered spam).

Has anyone here had specific issues or can advise on what I should be looking at with this range of CRVs? Appreciate any insight!!!

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
If you're considering a 2003-2004 CR-V I would look for a 2005-2006. The 2002-2003 came with 15" wheels, the 2005-2006 were equipped with 16" wheels to accommodate larger brakes. I bought a used 2006 CR-V in 2009 and kept it until I bought a new 2014 CR-V.
I personally don't like the looks of the front bumper on the 2007-2011 CR-Vs, but that's just an appearance issue. They are as reliable as the 2002-2006 models.

And full maintenance records are a nice thing to have.
Good luck!

·
Registered
340 Posts
Don't know your budget but I would look for an 07-08 with less than 100k miles on the odometer. You could pick one up in good condition for $6,000 - $7,500. This gen is basically bulletproof and if the vehicle has been serviced at the proper time intervals you should get another 100k trouble free miles easily.
Only downside is the A/C system. There was problems with the A/C compressor clutch. Just check the maintenance records/Carfax and see if it's been replaced. They seem to fail somewhere around 80k - 110k miles. Some sooner, some later.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
The rear seats of the third gen do not fold flat. There's a 10" step. To make a sleeper you have to raise the trunk floor to the folded rear seat back level. I have slept in the driver seat for numerous times.

Other than that, this generation is awesome, especially the top trim level with a panorama roof.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts