Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

2007 & 2008 Owners Only. Does your A/C make a squealing noise?

• Yes

Votes: 41 42.7%
  • No

Votes: 55 57.3%
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
This poll only applies to only 2007 and 2008 CR-V owners (all trim lines).

Many of us have experienced a high pitched squealing noise, resembling electronic feedback, that seems to emanate from behind the A/C control panel. The noise occurs only when the air conditioning compressor is engaged, either the A/C button depressed or one of the defroster buttons depressed. The noise usually occurs around 2500 to 3000 RPM with moderate engine loading.

To keep from skewing the results, please do not answer this poll if you have not heard the noise and have less than 1,000 miles on your vehicle.

Obviously, please only answer the poll once!

Thank you for your participation.

·
Registered
264 Posts
i heard it the other day it didn't last long, but i heard it when i first started the car and put the air on and started to drive away and heard it but it didn't last for long, it definitely sounded like something wasn't grounded properly...

·
Registered
94 Posts
no noises here... 4800+ miles and counting

faulty valve maybe? or issues with the controls resulting in feedback because of the frequency of the alternator and the button being depressed?

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
I have this sound also. Although it does not seem to be exclusive to when the AC is on. It occurs for a few seconds at a time when I am going up a gradual uphill grade.
Welcome to the forum! :)

When you say that your AC is not on, did you realize that defroster mode automatically turns on the AC, even though the light for the AC does not come on?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Vehicles affected

Just to let you guys know, the countermeasure parts for this issue should be available in January, as well as a service bulletin for dealers.

The cars affected are limited to japanese production. Therefore if your VIN starts with "JHL.." then it will probably be repaired. If your VIN starts with "5J6..." or something else it will not have this problem.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Thanks for The Info!

Just to let you guys know, the countermeasure parts for this issue should be available in January, as well as a service bulletin for dealers.

The cars affected are limited to japanese production. Therefore if your VIN starts with "JHL.." then it will probably be repaired. If your VIN starts with "5J6..." or something else it will not have this problem.
Thanks for the information and welcome to the club!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just wanted to chime in and say that we are experiencing this issue with my wife's car. She started noticing it last week and I heard it this weekend while traveling. It sounds (as mentioned in this post) like electronic feedback from a microphone. We thought it was the radio initially, but still observed the noise when the radio was shut off. We have not gone to the dealer with the problem yet, but plan to do that after the holidays.

On a side note, my wife was ready to cry this weekend because her step-dad backed into the CR-V ... luckily the damage is minor and primarily just scratched up the rear bumper and damaged some mounting holes on a plastic bracket behind the rear wheel.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Welcome To The Forum

Welcome to the forum. You may want to hold off on returning to your dealer for a bit. One of the previous posts mentioned that a fix and TSB was coming out soon. Unless you want to register your problem, you may waste less time waiting till the fix comes out.

Welcome to the club and sorry to hear the wife's V got damaged.

·
Registered
2 Posts
fyi...

I would assume if you have this issue, you would notice from day one. We heard it on the '07 we test drove. Don't remember the exact model, but it had no Navi and was awd. We heard it on ours after we drove it home from the dealer an hour away. We have mentioned it to them several times on the phone, but they say no one has mentioned it. So I look forward to get the hard facts on the mentioned upcoming fix so I can inform my dealer.
I hadn't noticed before, but I do believe it only happens when the engine is under torque and can go days without a peep. Other days, it just won't quit.

btw... it was built in Japan

·
Registered
136 Posts
We have not had this issue to date but my wife drives the CRV and she has not use the air a lot in the past few months. It will start to warm up down here in a month or so. We do have a JHL... number. Has the service notifcation been posted yet? I looked under Recalls, TSB's and Notices and did not see it there.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
do you mean that the A/C clutch is engaged @ all times??? :eek:

anyway...12 months, 28,000+ miles.....no noise (ever)
No, not all times. It is automatically engaged whenever you turn the controls so that air is directed to the windscreen though. Which is what one should want. If you have moisture on the inside of the windows, you want the compressor to engage to dry out the air. There is nothing wrong with manually turning on the AC even with the temp controls on full heat.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Strange whistling noise

Hi all

I have a 2007 ex model made in Japan, i live in the Uk and mine has this noise also. I always thought it was to do with the radio/bluetooth. I don't run my CR-V with the aircon on - as fuel is to expensive in the UK £4.60 a gallon or $9 in your money - and i still get this noise. it is very intermitant and not a constant. My dealer does not know what it is yet because when I hear it has usually stopped by the time I can get to the dealer.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.