Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm in the market for another CRV. I currently own a 99 1st gen and I have family members who own a couple of the 2nd gen CRVs.

Im debating to pick up this 06 SE AWD for $10k w/90,xxx miles or a 05 EX AWD for $10k w/85,xxx miles and am wondering how come and why are there so many 3rd gens for sale for almost the same price ($10k +) but with lower miles?!?!?

The 06 SE is at a dealership and the salesman suggested their 07+ CRV inventory. I didnt care much for it until I saw the prices!!! So I got carried away and started to look at craigslist and autotrader...

Is there something wrong with the 3rd generation or is it just bad resell value (since they are at 4.5 generations now?)?

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Neither. You would be a fool to pay more for an older Gen.2

·
Registered
442 Posts
2007+ models have more powerful engine, better gas consumption, better awd system, more passgenger/cargo volume, better handling .. and the list goes on :)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Nothing wrong with 3rd gen Crv.
Maybe people wanted to uprade with rear view back up camera and other fansy things on the 4th gen.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I have a 2007 EX-L with nav, and going toward 86,000 miles. I have only done timely maintenance and she is just an awesome car. Just got back from a 500 mile road trip and she took to the road like a champ. So I am rather prejudice. Best car I have ever owned! I cannot gush enough, it is true love I have for this 2007.

If you look at 2nd generation and then look at 3rd generation, you will see such a difference in appearance. Just going from a 2006 with the tire situated on the back of the door to the 2007 when they put the spare tire inside. The look for the 3rd generation became very stylish and sleek.

I feel you would luck out to find a 3rd gneration with low milage in the same price range as the previous generations.

Good Luck in your next purchase.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I was on the fence between an 07+ CRV or a 06+ Element. Both suited what I wanted and I ended up with the CRV because for some reason, most Element owners were sticking to their guns and I was not willing to spend 6-8K on an 05 and lower Element.

In the end I do about 8-12 trips a year over 200miles each trip so I think the comfort of the CRV will suit me better but the everyday haul of my bike and paintball gear would have been best in the Element.

Looks like I will be buying a rubber trunk mat and something to cover the back of the rear seats.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Honda CRV quality peaked in the 2008/2009 model years.
This is what I have seen reported on several different used car shopping sites.

I can tell you my '09 recently turned 125k miles and the only work outside of scheduled maintenance has been replacement of the rear brakes that I did myself (fairly common for CRV's). Even being ungaraged and exposed to the Northeast winters it still looks and runs great; in fact I have recently started getting some compliments when I tell folks it's over 6 years old. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend an '09 to anyone looking for a used V, and I'm glad that luck had it we needed a new vehicle in late '08.

The look for the 3rd generation became very stylish and sleek.
Personal preference can be funny... We like the "boxy, rugged" look... In fact, just grabbed a '15 Pilot to get the last of that style :cool: But the 3rd gen CRV is definitely comfortable and weather has yet to tame it.

edit - from Autoguide:
Looking through the complaints, recalls and service bulletins of the 2007-2011 CR-V, you’ll find that earlier models had more complaints and TSBs. Pre-facelifted 2009 models featured the one recall, and the fewest (eight) service bulletins, while the 2011 model had no recalls and only 11 TSBs. If you prefer the pre-facelifted styling, the 2009 model would be best, but ensure that the recall regarding the automatic transmission has been performed. The 2011 model doesn’t have the same safety concerns. The 2011 is more appealing since it will still have some warranty coverage as well. Of course, CR-Vs cars typically skew a bit higher on the used-car price spectrum, since they’re so attractive in terms of reliability, fuel efficiency and practicality

·
Registered
101 Posts
We paid $1500 for a 2005 EX. Put another $3k in having everything put into perfect operating condition. It has almost 142,000 miles but we know the original owner. I would never pay $10K for a used CRV that was 8 years old. Plenty of vehicles out there. I would look for one with higher mirage from a lot of highway miles. The hours in the engine will be comparable to a lower mileage 8 year old vehicle that was used for shorter trips that actually are much harder on the drivetrain and suspension. Just be sure that you can handle any of the maintenance that needs to be done.

What shall we have? An '82 Margaux! Is it any good? Good....?, It will make you believe in God!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts