Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys new to the site never done this before but i have been looking on the net and googled AC problems and hell there is a lot and what keeps comming up is black death!!!
I have a CR-V 2007 UK model bought last year from a Honda dealer and from day one had issues, i found rust on the tailgate again googled it and it was bad design fault luckly Honda repaired it for me free of charge.
Failed its MOT year later just still in warranty spring had snaped got it replaced. But 2 weeks after warranty lapsed rear calipar seized and had to be replaced by my friend who is a mechanic and imagine my disgust when i was told that the front discs and pads were worn and would need replaced ASAP, this is 2 weeks after a full service!!!! Did not bother contacting Honda as i fell out with them as they damaged my front bumper but couldn't prove it there word against mine....
Anyway back to the AC it stopped working a few weeks ago but on some occacssions would still blow out ice cold air, so i thought it was just needing re-gassed, i took it a local AC shop i used before with previous cars, and was given the bad news that the compressor has seized and something to do with the clutch also not engaging seized solid.
Now looking it up i fear it has the black death as before it stopped working i was getting strange noises through the air vents to the point i had to switch off the blower as it was getting rather annoying and loud.
I presume others have had this issue as looking up it was an issue from 2002-2009? Car is out of warranty and i do not have any faith in Honda now after reading some of the other drivers issues and Honda denying there is any issue.
So if i do and i think i have the black death what problems will i have in the future i have been quoted around £800 to replace just the compressor but looking it up it may need a total re-build everything needing replaced.
If i leave it will this cause any other issues i read that there is black slude deposit and metal parts that come away and make there way into the air vents, now driving at the weekend there i had some unusal smells and the family also noticed this, also due to it being climate control there is now an issue with regualting the temperature and the car steams up now when wet very annoying!!! :(
The short of it is i am wondering what the long term effects of this are as i cant afford to replace the system is it time to trade in and get another car??
Thanks guys for reading and look forward to a reply to help me out with this.

Cheers

Scott

·
Registered
101 Posts
It probably is just a bad ac clutch assembly -parts are around $120 from ebay sellers in the states not sure about england -I just got done changing mine (2011 crv) med difficult job. You could access compressor from underneath car with belly pan removed -if you can turn clutch with 14mm socket and encounter moderate resistance then compressor is not seized and bad clutch is probably your issue -it is the most common failure on the crv -it could also be the ac clutch relay which turns on the clutch and sometimes when clutch fails it also takes out relay (relay about $25) There are several of the same part# relays in underhood fuse box so you can swap ac clutch relay with another of same part # to eliminate that possibility, good luck, Bob.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks or the reply, the compressor is deffo seized as is the clutch neither will engage they checked and power is getting to the compressor but it wont work. Reason I ask about this black death is the noises coming through the vents like a whirling high pitch noise before the air con stopped working could this of been metal breaking up? what is this black sludge that containments the system?
If anyone has suffered black death what happens if it is not fixed, noticed this morning that the air was only blowing at my feet not the window so car was misting up as it wasvery early so have to st it manually also can't regulate the temp correctly either it too warm now.

Thanks Scott

1 - 3 of 3 Posts