Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

About a month ago, my CR-V would not start somewhat randomly and this happened several times. The first time it happened I had my husband to jump the car and I went to Sears to have the battery tested. The repair person told me I must have left a light on overnight. I didn't think I had left a light on but I went along my merry way and just figured that maybe my son had went to the car to retrieve something and left the light on.

The non-starting issue happened several more times but sometimes I could wait 5 minutes and the car would start. If I got a jump the car would start almost instantly. I ended up having the battery and terminal changed. When the terminal was changed (at the dealer) the car started immediately like it used to. I noticed that the car was slower and slower to start but would eventually start.

Yesterday, the car would not start. I asked my husband for a jump and he fussed at me (he has told me to take it to the dealer for a diagnostic several times). He attempted to jump it but it wouldn't start this time. This is the first time it wouldn't start, at all, after getting the terminal put on.

If I knew what it was I would gladly get the problem fixed. After reading on this site (and talking to a few mechanics) it seems that it's probably with the relay or the starter. I must admit that my knowledge of cars is very limited.

Here's my dilemma. My car has 256,000+ miles on it, I need new tires, the air conditioning went out this summer, and my windshield has a crack in it. I'm hesitant to put a lot of money into this car because I feel that it's probably time to start looking at a new car. I was hoping to drive this car until the beginning of next summer.

How can I find out what the problem is without paying $200 to have the car towed to the dealer and having them diagnose the problem? I can follow instructions really well if anyone has ideas of what I can do to troubleshoot the issue.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
First test is turn the headlights on when it won't start. If they seem dim then it is a battery issue (dead or bad connection.)

If the headlights seem normal try and start it with them on. If they don't dim at all the starter isn't drawing any power. If they dim really low the battery is probably almost dead.

You could take it to Autozone / Advanced Auto and have them test the battery and alternator.
If you find that your battery is already dead (under 12v) at the beginning of these tests you can also remove it and take it to one of the parts stores to be charged for free.

You will need a multimeter to start testing some of the electrical yourself. If you don't have one you could get a cheap one for $5-$25 or even get one for free with one of the Harbor Freight coupons.

The battery should have around 12-12.5v at the terminals with the engine off.
And it should have around 14v at the terminals with the engine running.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SZiA3jyrhA

If you find that the battery always goes dead after the car is parked for a couple days then you have a light or something that is staying on when it shouldn't be. Then you will have to do a parasitic voltage test.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=parasitic+draw+test

Also, be sure to check both wires connected to the battery, follow the red wire to the starter, follow the black wire to the frame of the car. Find the wires going from the frame of the car to the engine. There will probably be 2 of those. Make sure all the connections are tight and clean. If any of them are loose, rusty or corroded then they can affect both the charging of the battery as well as powering the starter.

In the end, it could just be the solenoid in your starter is going and the starter needs replaced. You could probably get it rebuilt, but most people just replace them. I can say on a 2000 it is fairly easy to do yourself, but not sure how hard a 2007 is to get to.

Oh and if it makes you feel any better, my 2000 CRV has 222,600+ miles on it, it needs new tires and it has a crack in the windshield.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 2007 CRV is starting to do the same thing. I checked the fuel pump relay in the cabin and it looks fine. Took it to the dealership and they could not find the problem. They said the alternator/ starter is fine. They can't figure out why this car drains and has tough starts. This is the 2nd battery, recently installed. Terminals look fine.

My CRV has 135,000 miles.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Starter is going bad, just replaced mine with the same symptoms. I took apart the starter and it was burnt up inside and black dust poured out of it. Sometimes it will start and sometimes not. My battery was showing 14v at idle and 12.6 at rest. Starter may infact be getting the proper voltage at test but the debris inside is stalling it out.

Replacing starter involved removing part of the intake manifold to get at it from the top, bottom is a no go. not too difficult just time consuming.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts