Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 Honda CR-V which has the integrated XM radio (the EX-L without Nav model). From time to time I need to put a large cargo box on the roof (e.g., Thule or Yakima). I noticed that the AM/FM/XM radio antenna stub will screw off. For the times when I need to install the cargo box, is there a alternate antenna that could be screwed in that might for example have a flexible wire and window or magnetic mount that could be used with the cargo box installed?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Sorry no one has replied to you by now. Don't take this to the bank, but I remember reading somewhere that the stem of the antenna that you can unscrew is only for AM/FM. The satellite part of the antenna is in the base of it. That being said, satellite antenna are dependent on line-of-sight, so putting something on top of the antenna (regardless if it's in the base or the stem) would inhibit the signal. Hope this helps, even if it's 6 weeks later :).

·
Registered
50 Posts
If the pointy part of the antenna really is only for AM/FM and it's the base that counts, you may be able to receive XM even through a cargo box. Most all the popular cargo boxes are made out of composite materials. Radio and satellite-based signals travel straight through composites. The only potential problem might be if the box itself is painted with a metallic paint. Sometimes, depending on the density of the metallic flakes in the paint, the signal is disrupted.

I'm pretty involved with building and owning experimental aircraft. It's common practice in the aviation community to install GPS, XM and VHF comm antennas underneath fiberglass fairings or cowlings to minimize drag. My GPS and XM radio and weather antenna will be installed under the engine cowling.

Best regards,

Rod
Loveland, Colorado
~13,000 miles

1 - 3 of 3 Posts