Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife's CR-V steering fluid reservoir went completely dry so I filled it up and started the engine and cycled the steering
wheel when I checked for leaks the area near the driver's side front under the engine was wet. Anyone knows what could be the problem and what is the cure? There appears to be a seal kit from Honda that replces the rack's seals but normally one would just replace the entire steering rack with a refurbished or new one. It would seem unlikely for any pressure lines to be leaking unless those lines are rusted through.

·
Registered
398 Posts
A leak could be almost any place in the system. A bad hose, the pump has seals and orings for some connections, the rack. Will need to jack it up and use jack stands or ramps or blocks to support it and get under the car to see. Yeah I don't think I would want to try to reseal the rack, keeps the car down longer and may need some kind of special tool, I don't know. Hoses don't last forever.

·
Premium Member
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
10,464 Posts
Follow the "wet" to the source. That would be where your leak resides.

Power steering fluid is pretty free flowing and a unique color so it should be easy to follow.

·
Registered
'08 CRV EX, White. '19 Pilot EX-L, MSM. '17 Accord, stick shift, '10 Kia Forte
187 Posts
I just had the rack replaced for a total of $1600 after alignment etc. Different issue with rack but needed new lines as they were corroded so badly they could not remove them. 2008 with 217,000 on it. Lots of different things get rusty with that many miles and years especially here in the northeast.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts