Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting near 30k miles on my 2007 and wanted to know what maintenance I should perform. I'm kind of concerned because my average MPG has gone from almost 27 to almost 23. More on that later.

So far, I've had the oil (ad filter I think) changed every 5,000 miles at Valvoline place. Usually the oil life is around 60% at 5k miles. Which now seems like a mistake because I just read about missing the MM sub codes. So when I get in my car I will try to check the subcodes. Do you guys recommend waiting until 15% oil life in the future?

At 15k miles,
I had the rear differential changed for free because it was making the noise. I also changed the cabin and air filter myself. Had the wheels rotated.

So at 30k, according to 2006 manual,
I need to:
1) Inspect drive belt. (how do I do that or do the people who change my oil know to do that?)
2) replace dust an pollen filter. (is this the cabin filter?)
3) replace air cleaner. (is this the engine air filter?)
4) replace rear differential fluid (its every 15k per other posts, not what the manual says) I wonder if I can go to the dealership and get this for free again since it says 90k miles?
5) Should I replace the tires? Which tires are recommended?
6) should I replace the battery? what battery is recommended?
7) anything else???

About the MPG. For the last three weeks I've been having to put air in one of the tires once a week. I guess it has a flat somewhere but I haven't found it. I'll have to do the water test when I get home. But that is partly why I am considering changing the tires. In my experience, tires that come with new cars usually don't last as long and aren't as good as tires you buy. But my experience isn't that lengthy.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I'm getting near 30k miles on my 2007 and wanted to know what maintenance I should perform. I'm kind of concerned because my average MPG has gone from almost 27 to almost 23. More on that later.

So far, I've had the oil (ad filter I think) changed every 5,000 miles at Valvoline place. Usually the oil life is around 60% at 5k miles. Which now seems like a mistake because I just read about missing the MM sub codes. So when I get in my car I will try to check the subcodes. Do you guys recommend waiting until 15% oil life in the future?

At 15k miles,
I had the rear differential changed for free because it was making the noise. I also changed the cabin and air filter myself. Had the wheels rotated.

So at 30k, according to 2006 manual,
I need to:
1) Inspect drive belt. (how do I do that or do the people who change my oil know to do that?)
2) replace dust an pollen filter. (is this the cabin filter?)
3) replace air cleaner. (is this the engine air filter?)
4) replace rear differential fluid (its every 15k per other posts, not what the manual says) I wonder if I can go to the dealership and get this for free again since it says 90k miles?
5) Should I replace the tires? Which tires are recommended?
6) should I replace the battery? what battery is recommended?
7) anything else???

About the MPG. For the last three weeks I've been having to put air in one of the tires once a week. I guess it has a flat somewhere but I haven't found it. I'll have to do the water test when I get home. But that is partly why I am considering changing the tires. In my experience, tires that come with new cars usually don't last as long and aren't as good as tires you buy. But my experience isn't that lengthy.
One thing that would help us answer some of your questions would be your location. That being said I will assume that you are experiencing some colder weather that this summer and therefore will say that winter blend gas does drop your mileage anywhere from 1-3mpg VERY easily.

You need to decide for yourself whether you want to follow the 2006 written service manual or the MM system that was installed in your vehicle. You can debate its validity but in the long run it will save you money and let you know what and when to perform certain functions in the CRV. The filters I change out every 15k just because we live in a dusty area and they usually are quite dark when I do. My OCI interval is 10k on and I follow my MM system.

As to tire, since we don't know where you live or what type of driving you do all we can suggest is visit tirerack.com and look at some reviews. All these things are very subjective and what one person likes another will trash. Use your best judgement in reading reviews and make a choice - if you don't like it don't try it again. I bought some tires for a work truck on another persons "recommendation" and I thought they stunk. Lesson learned. The flat issue could be a nail causing a slow leak. I had a small finish nail go into a "sipe" and wasn't visible until the tire was taken off and patched. If you have 30k on tires it might be time if these are still OEM.

Battery...why change if it still starts?

Start using your codes when the Oil life hits 15% and you will get a better feel for your CRV.

Good luck

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One thing that would help us answer some of your questions would be your location. That being said I will assume that you are experiencing some colder weather that this summer and therefore will say that winter blend gas does drop your mileage anywhere from 1-3mpg VERY easily.

You need to decide for yourself whether you want to follow the 2006 written service manual or the MM system that was installed in your vehicle. You can debate its validity but in the long run it will save you money and let you know what and when to perform certain functions in the CRV. The filters I change out every 15k just because we live in a dusty area and they usually are quite dark when I do. My OCI interval is 10k on and I follow my MM system.

As to tire, since we don't know where you live or what type of driving you do all we can suggest is visit tirerack.com and look at some reviews. All these things are very subjective and what one person likes another will trash. Use your best judgement in reading reviews and make a choice - if you don't like it don't try it again. I bought some tires for a work truck on another persons "recommendation" and I thought they stunk. Lesson learned. The flat issue could be a nail causing a slow leak. I had a small finish nail go into a "sipe" and wasn't visible until the tire was taken off and patched. If you have 30k on tires it might be time if these are still OEM.

Battery...why change if it still starts?

Start using your codes when the Oil life hits 15% and you will get a better feel for your CRV.

Good luck
Thanks. I am in the suburbs of NYC. My OEM tires are the continental 4x4. Thinking of buying the Yokohama Parada. When they are stocked again. The goodyear triple thread ones seemed better, but too expensive for me at this point.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
8,559 Posts
I am in the suburbs of NYC.
Lots of idling time in stop and go traffic? (Doesn't sound like it with your MPG) The MM will take that into account.

BUT

As shown elsewhere on this forum, the rest of the service items come up on the MM at the closest miles to an oil change. These are determined by the NORMAL schedule in the 06 chart.

If you spend a lot of time in stop and go, or on short trips, you need to use the 06' SEVERE schedule. Your cabin and engine air filters are probably due. (You could just look at them, but you may as well replace.)

Yes the diff fluid code 6 would have probably come up again on your MM at 30K miles (they corrected this on the 07)

Another thing to consider changing is the brake fluid... or wait till next year (2010). (Honda says 3 years regardless of mileage, your ABS will thank you!!!)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no I don't idle alot.

Thanks, for the info. I'll change the filters and remind myself to change the brake fluid next summer. I'll wait for the MM to come up before I change the differential fluid.

As far as the tires, the ones I wanted were out of stock, so I ended up buying the 225/65R17 Kumho Road Venture APT KL51. Never heard of Kumho but the reviews were good and its funny to say the name out loud.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
8,559 Posts
Never heard of Kumho but the reviews were good and its funny to say the name out loud.
I have Kuhmo tires on two of my other cars (not the V), they have been working well for the most part. (I have two Kuhmos that leak air through the carcass, though.)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts