Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
My 2007 CRV's AC seems to fail intermittently, typically AC works fine (blow cold air) for a while after I started the car, but then AC starts blow warm or even hot air, which most likely happen after I slow down, stopped for red light; and sometime if it is hot weather and car was parked under sun, then the AC could blow warm air right after I start the car

I have checked the Freon level, it is good; what should I do next for troubleshooting?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi,
My 2007 CRV's AC seems to fail intermittently, typically AC works fine (blow cold air) for a while after I started the car, but then AC starts blow warm or even hot air, which most likely happen after I slow down, stopped for red light; and sometime if it is hot weather and car was parked under sun, then the AC could blow warm air right after I start the car

I have checked the Freon level, it is good; what should I do next for troubleshooting?
Same with me. No money to fix this now so I just sweat. When I can afford a fix this I will return and hope you find a solution.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Hi,

You can try replacing the compressor relay (it's in the fuse box by the battery). It's not very expensive.
More than likely you've run up against the nagging problem that plagues this generation. Compressor clutch failure.
It cannot be diagnosed until it fails. Your symptoms match exactly what a failing clutch does.
The dealer will fix for about $700.00, local A/C show for probably half that or if you're mechanically inclined you can do it for 100+.

·
Registered
491 Posts
You can try replacing the compressor relay (it's in the fuse box by the battery). It's not very expensive.
More than likely you've run up against the nagging problem that plagues this generation. Compressor clutch failure.
It cannot be diagnosed until it fails. Your symptoms match exactly what a failing clutch does.
The dealer will fix for about $700.00, local A/C show for probably half that or if you're mechanically inclined you can do it for 100+.
TSB 12-072 (link below) details the clutch replacement. The '07 to '11 models had bad clutches. Unfortunately the 7 year warranty extension has run out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks wlong01 and marty1, I will try replacing compressor relay first; the software update seems to be sth can only be done by dealer; and clutch replacement also seems difficult to do myself (after watching some youtube video)

·
Registered
340 Posts
Thanks wlong01 and marty1, I will try replacing compressor relay first; the software update seems to be sth can only be done by dealer; and clutch replacement also seems difficult to do myself (after watching some youtube video)
Yeah, I hear you. I didn't want to attempt the repair myself. Being it was the middle of July when mine failed I just drove it to the dealer and paid the $700.00. You can look around for a local A/C shop and see how much they will charge.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
My local dealer charged just under $1,100 to replace the whole compressor. I'm sure mine was still good, but I figured I'd rather start over with a fresh clutch and a fresh compressor. The dealer in Utah charged a little more ($1,200-ish), but both went over the whole AC system and checked for leaks, replacing o-rings where needed so the system was sealed up tight. I also rented a new Civic for the day while they fixed it. ?

It is in a nasty place to try and DIY the clutch. I don't have the patience. I did the alternator (which is right next door) and it's tight in there, with little room to work. Count on removing the engine mount when you do it, too--it may not be necessary, but it gives a lot more room to work, and makes removing the belt that much easier (so much easier to pull on that tensioner!). I've had my left engine mount out of my '09 at least four times now, and it's fairly easy if you can jack up the engine, supporting it with some lumber so you don't damage the oil pan. There is a write-up elsewhere in this forum about replacing the clutch. If you're brave and patient, go for it! We won't stop ya! ?

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Oh, and I should add that when my clutch failed, I was somewhere in Minnesota or South Dakota (the town was Hartford). We'd stopped, ate lunch in the car, and I felt the air get warm when we left the parking lot. I turned it off for a few minutes, it worked again briefly, then quit completely. We had "4-90" air conditioning on that trip--four windows open, 90 miles per hour, in 95° heat. (Speed limit is 80; staying up with traffic is often 85-90 in South Dakota and Wyoming.)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, I hear you. I didn't want to attempt the repair myself. Being it was the middle of July when mine failed I just drove it to the dealer and paid the $700.00. You can look around for a local A/C shop and see how much they will charge.
I replace the relay yesterday, just as you predicted, it doesn't help; I guess I have to seek for professional help ...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh, and I should add that when my clutch failed, I was somewhere in Minnesota or South Dakota (the town was Hartford). We'd stopped, ate lunch in the car, and I felt the air get warm when we left the parking lot. I turned it off for a few minutes, it worked again briefly, then quit completely. We had "4-90" air conditioning on that trip--four windows open, 90 miles per hour, in 95° heat. (Speed limit is 80; staying up with traffic is often 85-90 in South Dakota and Wyoming.)
man, that must be quite a ride

1 - 11 of 11 Posts