Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
2,700 Posts
My local dealer charged just under $1,100 to replace the whole compressor. I'm sure mine was still good, but I figured I'd rather start over with a fresh clutch and a fresh compressor. The dealer in Utah charged a little more ($1,200-ish), but both went over the whole AC system and checked for leaks, replacing o-rings where needed so the system was sealed up tight. I also rented a new Civic for the day while they fixed it. ?

It is in a nasty place to try and DIY the clutch. I don't have the patience. I did the alternator (which is right next door) and it's tight in there, with little room to work. Count on removing the engine mount when you do it, too--it may not be necessary, but it gives a lot more room to work, and makes removing the belt that much easier (so much easier to pull on that tensioner!). I've had my left engine mount out of my '09 at least four times now, and it's fairly easy if you can jack up the engine, supporting it with some lumber so you don't damage the oil pan. There is a write-up elsewhere in this forum about replacing the clutch. If you're brave and patient, go for it! We won't stop ya! ?

· Registered
2,700 Posts
Oh, and I should add that when my clutch failed, I was somewhere in Minnesota or South Dakota (the town was Hartford). We'd stopped, ate lunch in the car, and I felt the air get warm when we left the parking lot. I turned it off for a few minutes, it worked again briefly, then quit completely. We had "4-90" air conditioning on that trip--four windows open, 90 miles per hour, in 95° heat. (Speed limit is 80; staying up with traffic is often 85-90 in South Dakota and Wyoming.)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.