Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wife pulled into the driveway making weird noises and the then died. Battery Dead. Popped the hood to see smoking from the belt. My thoughts are one of the pulleys seized and started burning rubber off the belt. I started to rotate the PS pump to try and lock down which pulley it was. So far they are all turning OK. Now my thought is since the AC was on the compressor locked up? The com is still rotating but I'm guessing it's not engaged? If the compressor locks will it still be able to turn without the AC on? Just recently had the clutch and field coil replaced NOT UNDER WARRANTY because of mileage :(.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Could be the belt tensioner is not providing the proper tension now and the belt is too loose. That just happened to my girlfriend's sister's car (not a CRV) literally like 3 days ago. I don't think it was smoking, but I heard the belt was squealing on startup and she was waiting until she got paid to get it fixed and it didn't make it and died when the battery went dead so the alternator was slipping.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Not under warranty??? 105kkm??? I got a letter this April re warranty extension on 2007-2010 with less than 160kkm. Go back to Honda with the bill and mention campaign L60, L64.
With only 105k on it the belt should not be slipping unless the auto tensioner malfunctioned. I have 160k on mine and still have some tensioner adjustment left.
PS. sorry to hear of your wife's early demise (reread your first sentence.)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Couldn't it just be that the belt is worn out, the car 6-7 years old sounds about the right time for a belt change anyway.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had already changed the belt, had the battery tested and it's good. Put a multimeter on the battery during startup and idle and system is not charging. Smoke I guess was from the Alternator, all the pulleys spin nicely as I took the belt off. Looks like alt replacement is in order. $255 from Honda is not that bad, will do it myself this weeeknd :(.

·
Everything in Moderation
7,919 Posts
Consider having your present alternator repaired at an auto electric shop. MUCH cheaper.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would but it's just more convenient to get the Honda Reman, 3 year unlimited mile warranty. Got it out today, man what a bear, the bottom two bolts on the alt are impossible to get a wrench on. Anyone have any tricks? Otherwise the tensioner, PS pump and belt came off pretty easy.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not under warranty??? 105kkm??? I got a letter this April re warranty extension on 2007-2010 with less than 160kkm. Go back to Honda with the bill and mention campaign L60, L64.
With only 105k on it the belt should not be slipping unless the auto tensioner malfunctioned. I have 160k on mine and still have some tensioner adjustment left.
PS. sorry to hear of your wife's early demise (reread your first sentence.)
Ah but you see the "wife" is in fact my CRV :)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got it all back together, now charging like it should. The Honda dealer made good and had to special order the part, 1 day and saturday pickup, not bad. All the other dealers didn't have saturday delivery and prices were $50 more or so. Core charge was $50. I'm starting to think the early demise of the alt was some power steering fluid I spilled on it a few years back, not sure though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts