Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long time lurker, and aside from replacing a few hoses here and there (and normal maint) its been a great car. 2007 CRV 2WD EX with 181k on the clock.

I have a clicking sound coming from the passenger front wheel. It sounds almost like having a baseball card stick in your spokes of your bike (for those old enough to remember :) ) except it has the sound of having a rock stick in your treads or if you tap your fingernail on a hard surface.

In-cab noise is barely audible, but with passenger window down, you can hear it pretty good. Below 25MPH it seems to go away, but above that its heard. the rhythm of the click is definitely related to the rotation speed of the wheel, and makes the noise whether accelerating, braking, in D or N. Braking doesn't affect the rhythm. Between 45 and 60 i've tried turning hard left and right and that didn't affect the rhythm or loudness.

My first suspicion is its probably a CV Joint? both boots on the shaft are in good shape with no tears, holes, or grease leaking out anywhere. I recently replace the VTEC solenoid / valve assembly gasket (the one with the filter in it). Since i had the tire off to do that job, i look around the trans axle everything looked great (ie. no leaks, tears, etc).

I also assume since i'm not feeling any shudder, grinding or vibration, or any other pronounced noises outside the car or in the cab itself, i've kinda ruled out the trans axle itself (especially since the noise is definitely coming from the right front wheel)

I'm a rear wheel drive kinda of guy (my trucks are rear wheel), but know that if i hear a clicking sound while turning a front wheel drive, a CV joint is the culprit. Can a bad (or going bad) joint also click when driving straight, unaffected but turns?

I guess i could wait till it got worse, but this car has been great and would like to get many more miles out of it. Aside from the VTECT valve, not a drop of oil leaking or major issues with it. Can't ask for anything more.

Thanks

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Other info i forgot to add / expand upon:

There is no noticeable grind, shudder, or other odd noise (either in cab or out) for felt in the steering wheel or car itself (i understand this could indicate possible inner joint problem). I have no indication of a wheel out of balance situation.

I also checked the tire before putting back on after doing the VTEC valve job. No visual or felt any bulges in tire, saw anything stuck in the tread, etc.

I do plan on swapping the rear tire with the front to see if the noise transfers / goes away.

·
Everything in Moderation
7,604 Posts
Outer CV joint noises usually change at full lock. (The innards contact less-worn surfaces)

Inner joints, not so much.

Could you feel anything corresponding to the noise with the wheel off, as you rotated the brake rotor? (Might be necessary to support the lower control arm, to position the joints in their normal position. Don't bend the control arm!)

What is the frequency of the click?

Common issue, but is the brake rotor splash shield straight? No pebbles inside?

Hate for you to change the axle and have the aftermarket part fail again (as has been reported). There was a recent Topic about having the OEM axles rebuilt at a 4WD shop as the best action.

EDIT: Here's the Topic I saw:

http://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/14-problems-issues/128177-vibration-problem-solved-finally.html

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks Carbuff. To answer...
i did not feel anything that would indicate a problem with the wheel off. in fact, with the entire front end off the ground and ebrake set, i had wife put it in gear and slowly accelerate. unfortunately with the wheel on and off, the right sounded like it was slipping and could never get over 5mph. i assume this is normal because no load on the wheel?

as for the frequency, imagine a rock or pebble stuck in the tread. it literally sounds close to that. it sounds like a complete revolution of the tire and increases / decreases as car speeds up / slows down.

no vibrations are felt or heard while driving. shield looked good and didn't see anything hung up in there

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so.....problem fixed! always the simple stuff right? a little over 2 wks ago right front tire blew. got over pretty quick but tire did crack the inner fender plastic in a number of places in the front where it meets the bottom of the car. tonight i swapped rear and front tires and noise still there. on a whim, i put a piece of Gorilla tape over the few cracked places and bam! noise gone! took tape off on test ride back and sure enough, noise came back. just to prove again, put more tape on and drove, noise gone. took tape off and noise back.

so im thinking during process of removing in inner fender splash shield to do vtec sol / spool valve, i obviously made those cracks worse. explains why no noise below 40mph. and extremely odd the clicking sound had the frequency it had. i almost shelled out money for a new axle on the way home but thank goodness i didn't. ordering a new inner fender shield tonight :)

·
Everything in Moderation
7,604 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
LOL! i have 3" Gorilla tape for now. however, order new inner shield, outer trim piece, plus all new clips and screws since replacing the splash shield. still dumbfounded. gonna see if i can mount the GroPro and see how its causing that sound. swear it sounds like a rock stuck in the tire or a bad cv joint. so odd. thanks for the help

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
I'd be interested to know how it's related to wheel spin so well too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts