Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently replaced the 3 year old battery, thinking it was the cause for vehicle not starting. Upon replacing, it would start but seemed to turn over somewhat slow.

Fast forward 2 weeks. The vehicle starter won't turn over. I have my doubts that the new battery is the issue. Typically, with a weak battery, one will hear the intermittent click of the solenoid engaging and disengaging rapidly--I am not experiencing that problem.

Logic says that I may have a problem with the starter itself. Does anyone have any similar experience with similar issue?

Thanks in advance for review and feedback!

·
Registered
242 Posts
Yes, I have 2007 with 130,000 miles and a brand new battery. The starter is slow to crank but starts the car. Sometimes I turn the key and starter cranks for 2 seconds and stops, no solenoid click. I turn key off, then try again, starter cranks and starts car. Had battery tested, no issues. I hope its not the starter, as you have to take the intake manifold off on the car to get the starter out. :-(

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Possible that the electrical connections at the starter itself may be loose or corroded. There are methods to test the starter, but you'll have to look them up.
I am not sure if there can be a starter relay that can cause those symptoms.
Buffalo4

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It was the starter. It's been replaced.

As others have stated, it's not too uncommon to need replacement on this age CRV with average miles.

Thanks for the responses!

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Did you have it done or do it yourself? If you did it yourself, what did you have to remove to get the starter out?
Have a fun weekend. :)
Buffalo4

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We are leaving for a trip and time was scarce, so I let a trusted shop replace it. I found a very helpful YouTube video (search: how to remove a 2007 CRV starter). It will give you a good idea what you'll encounter, if replacing on your own. The service manual nor the video mention anything about shimming the starter though-- not sure if it's necessary on CRV or not. Anyone know if it's necessary on the 2007 CRV?

The Honda service manual suggests removing it from the bottom side but I think going from the top side of the vehicle gives you more room to work and visibility (as seen in the video).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts