Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to get some additional opinions on this. Is this rust on the under carriage so bad that I should just try to get out of this vehicle altogether? My mechanic indicates to me that I am very likely to have ongoing problems that will become more severe. Here is a video of the rust. Sorry for the poor quality, it gets better later in the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UH1ooCqFCV0

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Guaranty you look at any older vehicle and you will see rust underneath. Does this mean they will have on going problems? Maybe, but in reality, yes you will need new exhaust eventually as all vehicles do, and same with brakes. These are all wear parts, as are tires, and air filters, ect...

I'm curious of what ongoing problems you would have other than wear parts????

Myself, I live in a cold winter environment, so I get my vehicle rustproofed which includes oil under spray, so I do not see as much rust as I think I see in your video, but regardless, I will also need a new exhaust eventually as they are not made to last the lifetime of your vehicle.

If your CRV is reliable and the body isn't rusting out, then you have a CRV that will still bring you many years of happiness.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Take a look at POR 15 products. They are the best I've ever used and would really help your situation. The best part of this product is that you don't have to remove all rust, just the loose stuff.

·
Everything in Moderation
8,152 Posts
Take a look at POR 15 products. They are the best I've ever used and would really help your situation. The best part of this product is that you don't have to remove all rust, just the loose stuff.
POR is great stuff for rust. (POR = Paint Over Rust) I've used it often, I always have a kit on hand.

One thing you need to remember with this product is, it is rigid. Flexing will allow moisture and corrosion to enter via cracks in the coating.

Another good strategy is to use a flexible rustproofing film, such as Krown or Fluid Film. This type of rust-resister "wicks" into the joints shown on the video, so it can do even more towards preventing that rust from spreading.

With either product type, you need to re-apply periodically, to continue the protection.

++++++++++++++++

That said, I don't think you need to get rid of the car any time soon. (Even the Tech in the video mentioned that.) I'd bet that this 2007 will be fine for at least another 7 to 10 years.

The big contributor to this type of rust is the salt brine that is poured onto the roads at the slightest prediction of freezing conditions. The liquid salt soaks into every seam of a vehicle (not just a Honda).

Bottom line is, any car you buy will have a finite life due to our Road Department's efforts to keep you safe.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I see present and future DIY opportunities! This entirely depends on whether you do DIY or not. For me, this is the opportunity to tinker around, and reward myself with some nice tools for a job is done! I now have a garage full of tools given to me over the years as rewards (by me, of course).

I agree with Carbuff2, I didn't see (just by going with the video) anything that require you to get rid of the car right away due to rust, EXCEPT I think the following need a second look.

1) At 1:46 and 2:10 the Tech says body panel welds separated due to rust. This needs to be checked out. Are these load bearing body panels? If so, is there a sag due to weld failure? You can test this by putting the CRV on jack stands and have someone sit at that location. Or, put a camera in video mode on the floor while you sit inside.

2) At 3:52 there is panel rust. This looks like the fuel tank protective cover. if so, I wouldn't worry about it unless the brackets are coming loose. If this is a load bearing body panel, same test as in #1

3) 3:34 Looks like a cross-bar. I wouldn't worry about this. If it bothers you apply a POR product. My personal favorite is Rustoleum Rust Reformer liquid. It will harden on the surface. I would remove any salt and road chemicals before applying POR products.

4) 4:26 Exhaust, and bolts: They rust. These are made of lowest grade steel on the CRV. Nothing you can do to stop rust. When it's time to replace exhaust, apply a product like PB Blaster. or reward yourself with a Sawzall.

5) 4:47 Caliper. I think you are already getting this replaced, right? If not, that needs to be on the watch list as well.

6) Same reasoning applies to other rusted areas - does it move, rotate, bend, support weight? etc

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for all the very helpful responses. I am definitely not a DIYer so that is big part of my problem. We only bought this car in May of 2014 and so far we have had to have one other repair to the third gear of the transmission which was about $1000 and then we had to have the front brake calipers replaced as mentioned in the video which ended up running close to $1000 by the time that was done.

At this point I am definitely leaning towards replacing the CRV with another CRV.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Thank you for all the very helpful responses. I am definitely not a DIYer so that is big part of my problem. We only bought this car in May of 2014 and so far we have had to have one other repair to the third gear of the transmission which was about $1000 and then we had to have the front brake calipers replaced as mentioned in the video which ended up running close to $1000 by the time that was done.

At this point I am definitely leaning towards replacing the CRV with another CRV.
The front calipers were replaced before or after the video was made?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts