Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this morning I used my CRV to run an errand and it started and ran ok except I heard whine from the engine compartment. I checked under the hood and could not determine the problem.
I came back 4 hours later and the car is dead the dash does not light up and it will not crank. I tried to jump start it and it would barely crank and would not start, plus it overheated the heavy duty jumper cables. I checked the voltage on the batter and it shows 2.4 volts so obviously it is bad but why will it not start when jumped?

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
There is a short somewhere and it might even be the battery itself.
I would disconnect the neg battery connector and charge that battery, if possible.
You could also try jump starting it with the neg cable disconnected but the jumper cables on the neg cable also. If it now turns over faster and actually starts, SHUT it off and THEN disconnect the jumper battery cables. If that happens, it usually means the battery in the vehicle is the problem.
Be careful and do so at your own risk:
Do not disconnect any cables while the engine is running as it may cause a voltage surge and possibly damage some electronic equipment.
The other thing that may cause that problem is the a shorted out alternator. That 'WHINE' you heard most likely came from the alternator, either because it was under great load, such as a short, or it was failing.

Buffalo4

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I pulled the battery our and exchanged it for a good one. The crv started fine after that, but I still had the whine. I went over the engine with a stethoscope and was unable to determine where it was coming from. The alternator shows 14.1 volts of output. After about 15 minutes of searching the whine went away so I guess I get to drive it and see if it returns or the car quits. The battery was only 16 months old so I got a replacement at no charge. still it all seems really weird.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Keep us updated, if you would.
Even a 'new' battery is normally not fully charged, so the alternator was probably charging it heavily for a short time and , after it got back to a normal charge, there was less of a whine or none.
Thanks for posting back.
With your voltmeter, check the battery voltage after it sits overnight and BEFORE starting it.
Buffalo4

1 - 5 of 5 Posts